Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early Spatsizi Sone's Sheep Draw

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

Re: Early Spatsizi Sone's Sheep Draw

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    where AAH has never been met
    So in theory there should be some nice mature rams in that area, no?

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    Agreed, but it's a start and an area where AAH has never been met. A step in the right direction if you will?
    Yes, a step . A GOS seems more reasonable. This hunt may already appear artificially over subscribed, only because it is in the LEH hot sheets. Who would think twice about it if it was in the general regs, just another hunt. OR ,,,, IS IT the home of the 'great dalli ramma' ??

youngfellla Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    So why is htis such a difficult place to hunt?

Is it just the initial acess?
    Access is tough. You need to fly in, or else take horses. Backpacking into the Spatsizi for a sheep hunt is a waste of time for most. I've been on 4 hunts in Spatsizi. Quads, pickups, or riverboats won't do you any good in there.

A couple years ago the # of sheep tags was increased from around 15 to up over 50, but still nobody was going after the sheep, except for fly-in hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by youngfellla
    I've been on 4 hunts in Spatsizi.
    I assume you flew in. What did it cost? And did you have any luck?
    Twist and pull.

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve
    This would be the best solution but because it is a certain classification of "provincial park"(can't remember the proper designation), it's a policy to keep species on LEH.
    Amazing, especially when MU 6-20 has over four times the number of sheep than other MU's in region 6. I think it is time to make SPWP exempt from "policy" and allow a GOS for all species. With access being difficult, I do not see a tidal wave of hunters washing over the park once it goes to GOS.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch
    I don't understand what the MOE is trying to accomplish here. With 50 permits let and 3 to 1 odds, this hunt should be reasonably 'subscribed' ? IF the hunter effort is LOW, as I assume it is, an early draw will not get LEH winners of their asses and into the mountains any better than now. They are not reaching thier target harvest numbers, so what is the actual reason ?? Poor success ?? Poor effort ??
    Anti's applying for LEH to save the animals perhaps?? I wonder if there was ever a study done on the numbers of successful LEH applicants that actually purchase a license and tags??

I have backpacked thru parts of the spatsizi, my thoughts would be the lack of resident success in that area is that it is simply tough, tough terrain, thick bottoms , wet, muddy,and fairly tough mts, once on top it is not so bad but getting there is tough, fly in is an option but lakes are limited, the sheep are there but there is just easier places to get to

I concour Deaddog, This area is tough & only the hardiest & most determined of sheep hunters will get to the Ram mtn's. This is probebly the largest factor relating to low harvest #'s.
    As for the next Chadwick Ram coming out of there -NOT LIKELY-
    However according to MOE surveys the population is stable & healthy throughout the Eaglenest range.
    Last edited by 7 mag; 12-15-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    B.C. Hunting rules!!!