Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early Spatsizi Sone's Sheep Draw

Re: Early Spatsizi Sone's Sheep Draw

I had a sheep tag in that area this year, that is one tough hunt. Never did see any sheep, area was heavily treed for the first 10 km. small openings here & there with no luck. Never did get to the platuea, however other hunters on horseback were there and never seen a thing. That was late Sept. It seems that a "fly in" is the only way and theres a large "No shooting area" around Cold Fish Lake!
    Mik

I don't understand what the MOE is trying to accomplish here. With 50 permits let and 3 to 1 odds, this hunt should be reasonably 'subscribed' ? IF the hunter effort is LOW, as I assume it is, an early draw will not get LEH winners of their asses and into the mountains any better than now. They are not reaching thier target harvest numbers, so what is the actual reason ?? Poor success ?? Poor effort ??

i think to go after guys who are serious sheep hunters and not just applying for the tag cause they'll be hunting moose there

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch
    I don't understand what the MOE is trying to accomplish here. With 50 permits let and 3 to 1 odds, this hunt should be reasonably 'subscribed' ? IF the hunter effort is LOW, as I assume it is, an early draw will not get LEH winners of their asses and into the mountains any better than now. They are not reaching thier target harvest numbers, so what is the actual reason ?? Poor success ?? Poor effort ??
    My guess would be low hunter participation = poor success = not reaching target numbers. It is probably why the new allocation policy is giving more tags to the g/o's in that area (as per GoatGuy's post on another thread). Change it from a LEH to GOS and see what happens.

As for why participation is low I think there are a couple of reasons, one of which is the short time between receiving authorization and going on the hunt. Others are hunting partners not being able to go, underestimation of cost/distance, and suprise expenses at home.

Quote Originally Posted by brno375
    Change it from a LEH to GOS and see what happens.
    This would be the best solution but because it is a certain classification of "provincial park"(can't remember the proper designation), it's a policy to keep species on LEH.

The closure around Coldfish Lk is only a 1KM radius. Not very far when you're talking sheep hunting. Most sheep aren't shot within a km of a hunter's drop off lake.

SSS

Nobody goes.

They're hoping this will enable people to book the time off in a advance, do the research and know where to go to slay a ram. A lot of these folks will put in for a handful of tags there cause it's cool get the draw with the hopes of running into a ram out in a swamp!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I have the solution...in one word...QUAD!

Wouldn't that make the Greens' day if they allowed THAT in a provincial park!

I expect that they will be looking to move the timeline up for all draws if this one works as expected.

So why is htis such a difficult place to hunt?

Is it just the initial acess?

3-1 odds seem pretty low, good chance of getting a tag.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    Nobody goes.

!
    The timing of all apps has been a bitch for a long time, so why pick on one sheep draw ? It may allow for those serious sheep nutz, but is open to those 'mid-winter blues armchair dreamers' too. No change there.
    I say all leh apps, for the more covetted species like sheep and g.b ear should have to be accompanied by the fee for the tag, at the time of app. Returned to non-winneers, Non-refundable for those winners. That would sort out the diehards.

The timing of all apps has been a bitch for a long time, so why pick on one sheep draw ? It may allow for those serious sheep nutz, but is open to those 'mid-winter blues armchair dreamers' too. No change there.
    I say all leh apps, for the more covetted species like sheep and g.b ear should have to be accompanied by the fee for the tag, at the time of app. Returned to non-winneers, Non-refundable for those winners. That would sort out the diehards.
    Agreed, but it's a start and an area where AAH has never been met. A step in the right direction if you will?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela