Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitt Polder decoy numbers?

Re: Pitt Polder decoy numbers?

sometimes half a dozen can work real fine..practice your calling..

That's hopeful. I have been practicing...in the truck on the way to work (lots of stop lights, for better or worse). Must be a funny sight, blowing into a piece of plastic, then swearing at it.
    I still sound like crap, but it's getting a little better. Haven't quite worked out the best way to cluck. Seems a lot harder than duck calls.

What are you using for a call? all calls are NOT created equal
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I'm in same boat been using calls on way to work aswell you aren't the only silly looking guy on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    What are you using for a call? all calls are NOT created equal
    It's a Primos Honky Tonk. I'm open to suggestions.
    I've taken a look through the forums for a consensus on a good call - everyone seems to have their favorite, no particular call stood out.

I have a primos,lynch mob ,zink is my go to for goosey sounding.

I've been looking at Zink's PC-1 or SR-1. Big price difference - is the SR-1 worth it?

With practice worth every penny. I have the call of death!!!Check out eBay.

Remember to CAREFULLY check the Fraser Valley shooting regulations.

Only a portion of the marsh is open to shooting, and only on three days: Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday.

You cannot shoot from the dykes that border the closed areas (there are no signs to that effect in the marsh, so you have to study the regs. map). Last season there were lots of asshats standing on the closed dykes and skyblasting at passing birds.

Link to map is here:http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...VSAH2011Web.pdf. Note where it says Pitt Wildlife Management Area at the top-right of page two.

I haven't had much success decoying geese in the marsh. Generally they fly over the area and to the golf courses or cranberry fields. Pass shooting is about the only shots you'll get, scout and get under the flyway. This early season opener has never been good for me, I won't be going out as I'm in mauii now anyways! The field hunters do better on this opener for the most part but you need to scout around and get permission....Looks like more ducks are showing up now, hopefully it will be better in the Pitt than the last few years. The loss of habitat to the blueberry fields and the high water in the marsh hasn't kept birds around long. I have heard that some drainage work has been done, we'll see if tat helps the November/December levels.....
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!