Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First rifle questions. Please help!

Re: First rifle questions. Please help!

without question get yourself a Remington 700 BDL in 30/06. Very accurate, bullets are available everywhere, light recoil, 22" barrel. and will take anything in North America except the great bears. It will also kill game farther out than you can hit anything. Look carefully at Night Hawk 3 post it speaks wisely.

7/08, .270, .308. you're laughing. the .270 & .308 you can get ammo almost anywhere. 7/08 not so much but a very good round. great starting calibres. would be my suggestion anyway.

When a buddy of mine asked me the same question, I suggested that he get a Winchester Extreme in 7-08. He did and is very happy. Considering a 7-08 with a 140gr Tsx bullet will perform at least as good as a 30-06 with a 180gr cup and core bullet, Ill take the 7-08 any day. Low recoil = more practice and fun at the range. And since it will cleanly take moose and elk, it's a great package.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

my vote would definitely be in the 30-06

I'm basically in the same boat but I'm a cheapo and don't have a lot of experience sighting in a scope so I decided to go with the new savage axis in .30-06 .very accurate out of the box . For $380 after tax RTH! Can't beat that!
    And yes I do I know that most of you experienced guys would consider it a "throw away" rifle , and I would agree lol .. Which is why it's my first !