Thread: DIY decoy rigs

DIY decoy rigs

So I just got some mallards I want to try Texas rigging on but I don't want to spend a ton of money on supplies to do it. I was thinking of getting some clear or black weed eater line (0.6 or thicker) cutting that into 4 foot sections then just takin some old golf balls and screwing through those to attach to the line and use as weights. They weigh about 1.5 oz, so I figure that should be enough weight. Any other ideas?
    "Ducks are like women. They don't like a lot of mud on their butts."
    - Phil Robertson

http://fowlhooked.blogspot.ca/

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DIY decoy rigs

What you say will work, just depends where youre floating your mallards, in a pond with no wind sure the golf balls will hold but any good amount of wind or current/tide it'll start pulling and you'll be chasing decoys. calm water it should be fine.

Rig em right system

1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Any other ideas what I could use for weights?
    - Phil Robertson

Just starting my DIY rig. First couple heads done. Hopefully I'll be ready for January.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

That's pretty impressive
    - Phil Robertson

Nice work Dave what tools u use?

band saw to carve out general shape pattern
    rat tail wood rasp for most of the indentation
    Square wood rasp
    knife

Think of all the money I will save in deeks! Green head gear, go *&%$ yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by FowlWeather870 View Post
    Any other ideas what I could use for weights?
    I made some last season but haven't had the chance to use them yet. I got plastic shot glasses (solo cup style but small) and some slightly larger ones and filled them with concrete and stuck a bent piece of copper wire in it. I was thinking about dipping them or spraying them with some kind of sealer but that's about it. They were pretty cheap to make as a bag of concrete mix at HD was only six bucks and the wire was scrap I had. A little bulky but I think they will work good.