Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chilliwack shooting area

Re: chilliwack shooting area

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver1234 View Post
    What abouit neskawatch river fsr is it legal to shoot around there? I wouldn't be going soley to shoot if like to explore a bit sawell and have heard its nice there. Wouldn't mind doing a little shooting while there is all
    Nesakakwatch is legal so long as you are beyond the 800M no shooting area thet encompasses both sides of Chilliwack Lake Rd from the Ford Mtn Pen. and beyond. Getting up the Nesakwatch road is another story as it washes out almost every year. Find a big cut where you have a good view all around and a defined backstop to shoot into. There are a few very well travelled hiking routes up that valley heading up to the Slesse Memorial and other surrounding peaks that aren't all that apparent from the road, and the folks that hike those trails might not appreciate it if somebody started shelling the hill around them. Likewise, I don't know if the boys from Tamihi have been in there this year but they have been logging in there on and off the last few years. Use your head and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    I don`t understand the reluctance to join the local Gun club and support your shooting activities . I guess complaining is a much easier thing to do . Heck you drive past the CHWK club to your shooting areas .LOL
    Cheers
    I have joined many clubs in my life - very few are not run by committee of morons with overzelous range volunteers.

Some clubs are still being run as they were in the 70's and their management believe that there is need to change!

When you find a club that understands it needs you, as much as you need it - then stick with it!

I prefer to jump in my razor and go a long, long way back before we start shooting at gongs.
    Last edited by Kudu; 06-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

poco rod and gun is the shiznit, they are oranganized and the range officers are pretty cool. My only complaint is the wait time to get your bench since its so crowded on

Chilliwack club has changed a bit in the last couple years . I just recently rejoined . I left due to the unorganized BS it seems to be better now . Being local I refuse to take part in the bench road crowd as when some one gets hurt up there I will have no problem saying it wasnt me ! It is such a nice area up there to shame that no one cleans up its worse than Sylvester RD IMO

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    I don`t understand the reluctance to join the local Gun club and support your shooting activities . I guess complaining is a much easier thing to do . Heck you drive past the CHWK club to your shooting areas .LOL
    Cheers
    I cant speak on behalf of the Chilliwack range, but I can say this; At my range, there are only benches. You cannot be in any other position than sitting at your school desk. This is great for when I am working up a load, but next to useless as far as developing marksmanship. There is nothing I have ever encountered while hunting that is remotely close to sitting on the stool with my gun on a rest. How does a person develop their skills and practise shots they would encounter in a hunting situation if not practiced in the bush? Im all for the "range" when practicing pistol and shotgun drills, but there's no real substitute for shooting in the bush.
    How would a person practice shooting up or down a hill? how would they practice different shooting positions?
    And, as others have said; lots of times at the range, there is always "that guy" the range NAZI who for whatever reason is just a dick.
    Soon they will probably try to ban "double gun cases", I don't know how many times I have heard someone give another guy hell because as he was putting his rifles away, one of them was facing in a direction he didn't like.
    I don't go to the range in need of a babysitter, and I see these knobs time and time again.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    I cant speak on behalf of the Chilliwack range, but I can say this; At my range, there are only benches. You cannot be in any other position than sitting at your school desk. This is great for when I am working up a load, but next to useless as far as developing marksmanship. There is nothing I have ever encountered while hunting that is remotely close to sitting on the stool with my gun on a rest. How does a person develop their skills and practise shots they would encounter in a hunting situation if not practiced in the bush? Im all for the "range" when practicing pistol and shotgun drills, but there's no real substitute for shooting in the bush.
    How would a person practice shooting up or down a hill? how would they practice different shooting positions?
    And, as others have said; lots of times at the range, there is always "that guy" the range NAZI who for whatever reason is just a dick.
    Soon they will probably try to ban "double gun cases", I don't know how many times I have heard someone give another guy hell because as he was putting his rifles away, one of them was facing in a direction he didn't like.
    I don't go to the range in need of a babysitter, and I see these knobs time and time again.
    have you ever sat behind a guy that was putting away his rifles and turned the barrel towards you to get the second rifle to fit in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
    Hope you don't mind lots of garbage in your pics... I spent about half a day last year scouting and exploring around chilliwack and was disgusted with the amount of trash i came across in the bush. There wasn't a road or grade that was spared... I won't go back there. I suggest doing your shooting at the range unless you travel farther out of the valley.
    I wish there were a hell of a lot more people like you around. For some unknown reason, lower mainlanders think it is there god given right to drive 100 km and use the earth as a ****in garbage dump, Chilliwack, Mission, Harrison, it's all the same, every place you can access by road has turned into Vancouvers weekend dumping ground, wish all of these idiots would just stay in the city, don't need any more garbage out here, if you can't pick up your shit, stay the **** away!!'

Quote Originally Posted by olympia View Post
    have you ever sat behind a guy that was putting away his rifles and turned the barrel towards you to get the second rifle to fit in the case?
    no but some people do. so either the case goes left to right.. across the firing line in both directions, or it goes front to back; so that one is down range and the other points to the "safe area". makes some people come unglued.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

The Chilliwack area and the nearby logging roads are too close to so much human activity now that i don't think it really qualifies as "the bush" any more, though i agree that the arrogant knob who claimed to be doing geology work in the area sounds like a real doughhead.

When it comes to garbage and casings laying around, I hate garbage in the bush as much as the next guy but it seems to me in southwest BC it appears in greatest amounts in what appears to be a 20 to 40 minute drive from places like Chilliwack, Mission, Abbotsford and Squamish.

In Vancouver or Surrey, people dump shit at schools, alleys and vacant lots if they are going to act like pigs.
    Last edited by MichelD; 06-08-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    I have joined many clubs in my life - very few are not run by committee of morons with overzelous range volunteers.
    Some clubs are still being run as they were in the 70's and their management believe that there is need to change!
    When you find a club that understands it needs you, as much as you need it - then stick with it!
    I prefer to jump in my razor and go a long, long way back before we start shooting at gongs.
    I joined the chilliwack gun club for a year and found they were very unorganized
    Very hard to contact the right person to join
    Constant events wich puts a stop to all shooting
    10 dollars to bring a guest and you can't bring the same guest twice
    Police officer types that can be very unfriendly as range marshal
    Constant problems with the fob
    Now I shoot in the bush as a part of my scouting routine
    I do stick to weekdays though it is busy on weekends
    Yes, I have had the same experience with the chwk F&G Club. Too many blanket rules to compensate for dummies. Unorganized, and too many grumpy old farts that shoot there so often they think its "their" range.
    When I go out to shoot, I like to do it on my time, not wait for someone else. I like to set my targets when and where I like. And I've been at this for long enough to know the rules, Regulations and common sense that goes along with responsible shooting. I dont need some old fart with nothing better to do telling me his opinion.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne