Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chilliwack shooting area

Hybrid View

chilliwack shooting area

hey, just wondering where a nice place would be in chilliwack to go off into the bush for a day do a little hiking and shooting and maybe take a few pictures and what not?

thanks for your time

2. Site Sponsor

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Re: chilliwack shooting area

Been a while since I was there but Mt Thurston used to be good for that, anywhere off of Chilliwakck river. If you wanted to see some goats etc try up skagit river (no hunting for goats, but great for pics)
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

If you go up chilliwack lake rd and turn left towards foley lake just past ford mountain jail this branches off to alot of area there is some hikes up to some nice peaks as you can head up many mountains from there .

On the way their there will be many clear cuts to shoot in. Lots of spots you can reach out 300 yards .

This brings up an issue that is happening in this area.
    I brought a out of town friend up to a nice area I like to shoot . It's a very nice drive up with a 4x4 as there are large cross ditches and some what deactivated roads . We were way up the mountain set up in a cut that was safe to shoot at when a guy on a BMW enduro dirt bike pulse up and walks to us and told us what we where doin was illegal and totally unsafe, he told us we weren't allowed to shoot within 400m of the road.

I explained to him that that rule only applied on certain roads and highways and that the road we were on was a logging rd and deactivated at that.

He told me that I didn't know my regulations and stood his ground he explained he was doing geology work in the area and if had screw there he would just shut down the whole road.

I told him that would be a good idea to go right ahead

He said that he wasn't going to argue with guys with guns

We had not even taken the guns out of the cases yet we set up arable and targets

He told we would be in big trouble if the cops showed up and then left

My friends are new to shooting and were quite put off by this and wouldn't shoot . I wanted to check my gun so I took 4 shots and we packed up and left

Since then I have heard of 4 other occasions were the same guy harassed other guys about shooting all around the chilliwack valley

How do you deal with this kind of situa
    Last edited by rides bike to work; 08-22-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Tell him to call the cops if he doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rides bike to work View Post
    If you go up chilliwack lake rd and turn left towards foley lake just past ford mountain jail this branches off to alot of area there is some hikes up to some nice peaks as you can head up many mountains from there .

On the way their there will be many clear cuts to shoot in. Lots of spots you can reach out 300 yards .

This brings up an issue that is happening in this area.
    I brought a out of town friend up to a nice area I like to shoot . It's a very nice drive up with a 4x4 as there are large cross ditches and some what deactivated roads . We were way up the mountain set up in a cut that was safe to shoot at when a guy on a BMW enduro dirt bike pulse up and walks to us and told us what we where doin was illegal and totally unsafe, he told us we weren't allowed to shoot within 400m of the road.

I explained to him that that rule only applied on certain roads and highways and that the road we were on was a logging rd and deactivated at that.

He told me that I didn't know my regulations and stood his ground he explained he was doing geology work in the area and if had screw there he would just shut down the whole road.

I told him that would be a good idea to go right ahead

He said that he wasn't going to argue with guys with guns

We had not even taken the guns out of the cases yet we set up arable and targets

He told we would be in big trouble if the cops showed up and then left

My friends are new to shooting and were quite put off by this and wouldn't shoot . I wanted to check my gun so I took 4 shots and we packed up and left

Since then I have heard of 4 other occasions were the same guy harassed other guys about shooting all around the chilliwack valley

How do you deal with this kind of situa
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Tell him to call the cops if he doesn't like it.
    Exactly right. Next time, ask him if you're drawing to much attention to his outdoor crop.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I'll be heading up there soon to do some shooting. I go up there to do all my shooting, never ran into a guy like that.

BANG! What's that... BANG! I can't... BANG! hear you. BANG!BANG!BANG!

Maybe carry a copy of the regs that list the roads with firearms set-backs. Sounds like he's just an anti.

Wherever you go, pack out what you pack in please. Too many guys leave shift for others to pick up. You'll see what I mean when you get there!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I always end up packing out more then double what I came with. Casings everywhere!

IF you want to do some shooting, join a gun club. Chilliwack Valley is not the best place to try and do what you are describing without getting interrupted by anti's or other hunters, or WHY. You can find areas away from others, but the Valley gets swarmed on weekends, and dirt bikers/ATV'ers/4x4's cover a lot of ground and can run into your shooting range if you are not very careful. Be sure of your location and no shooting areas, (there is one around the Ford Mountain Correction Center) and like was said, pack ALL your garbage out.
    I grew up hiking this area, and reserve a special appreciation for it. Not meaning to offend, but too many outdoor users come to the Chilliwack Valley from the GVRD and shoot scheit up thinking "it's the mountains, there isn't anyone out here" and leave all their trash with no consideration for other users, or the environment they come out to to let their hair down in. That is why I recommend a gun club. No interruptions for ATVs/dirt bikes/ anti's and you get proper range amenities (benches, target stands, etc)
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910