Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: havalon knife

havalon knife

I recently purchased a Havalon replaceable blade knife. I had high hopes due to advertising/youtube videos of actual skinning/hbc member posts. I have to say i am very disappointed in my purchase. I have gutted and skinned 3 deer this past 10 days and have snapped, popped off atleast 5-8 blades. I found them sharp for only a few minutes then quite the struggle. Shockey says he can do a whole buffalo on 1 blade. I disagree. anyone find the same? or better experience? thanks, nate

2. Site Sponsor

Re: havalon knife

Never had any blades break or fall off but was disappointed that it took 3 blades to skin a moose last week. With everything I had read was expecting to do easily do the job with one blade

I skinned an 8' boar grizzly this spring on 2 blades with no issue.

Dont use them for cutting joints, or prying at all. They are not meant for that.

Also get replacement blades from a medical center- they are much higher quality I find.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Just one deer with mine and had no problems. Gutted and Quartered it with one blade.

When I first got it, I played with it a bit carving wood on the boat never had a blade pop. But could see how the blade could snap if you were to pry with it but I would be pissed even if I saw someone prying with my good fixed blade

I think I went through 2 or 3 blades on my last animal. Have certainly snapped a few blades over the years, but I don't think that's a flaw. I probably shouldn't be trying to cut through the joints with it, but I do. To each their own I guess, but I wouldn't head out hunting without mine.

Just tried mine for the first time worked awesome, one blade cruised through the whole process debone etc. Blades are in tight, almost too tight but not coming out. Only frustration is the cleaning afterwards. Lots of tight nooks and Cranny's. They seem to be very factory made. Probably varying levels of quality out there.

Learn how to use it and you will love it. Its not a pry bar!

havalons are great for skinning, caping, cleaning skulls & removing eyes. I'm sure they are not meant to be used for gutting & cutting up game. The blades are thin, therefore not very strong. They do stay sharp but like any blade they dull over time. Take your steel & run it over the blade to sharpen it for longer use. I use a #22 blade with a scalpel handle. Way cheaper....

i can do an elk without breaking the blade, but it only takes one slip to pop a blade. no big deal as there cheap. I do like my havalon, and the real beauty is its light.

ive skinned my last 3 deer with 1 blade, including my saskatchewan whitetail last year