Thread: Sukunka River Area

Sukunka River Area

Hey all just sitting here with the partners mulling over the fact that we have no moose draws and are looking for a new place to go. We were looking at the map and seen the Sukunka River. What can you all tell me about the area.
    I didnt even know I knew how to ninja roll...but its my new move in a pinch....

but if anyone could point me in the right direction for dirty hookers, it would be much appreciated. And possibly a lawyer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sukunka River Area

Was lots of game there in days past. The coal mine has made the first twenty miles or so like a fricken highway. The valley goes back a long ways. Lots of elk in the thick stuff but was in there two years ago and lots of hunters. Be careful the road at 44 km where the forestry campsite is gets flooded out real easy. Lots of area to cover if you like that type of thing. There are some elevation closures in that area as well so research it well before going.

I've seen some moose up there for sure. Same as anything, if road hunting, dusk and dawn.

Mainly, it is a coal mine road, and there are huge coal trucks running up and down the road from 0 to 16.5 constantly all day. If you don't have a radio you have a real chance of being smucked, so if you absolutely can't get a radio, follow a coal truck up. He will pull over when someone is coming down pull in behind him. On the way down, follow any vehicle with a radio. Down vehicles have right of way so if your convoy has a radio, everyone else will just get out of your way.

As for hunting, get past 16.5 and there are numerous side roads for road hunting. I've never hunted up there but do a lot of camping around there and have seen quite a few moose, elk, and deer. Keep in mind, up here daylight begins around 4:30 so you're going to want to be at 16.5 around that time. Very early days here.

To give you some perspective, we pulled 3 young moose out of a close by area in the first two days of the season and tagged out, road hunting. So they are around!

Also if you get up there, PM me and there is a beautiful fishing hole on a river up there like out of a movie.

Something to pass the time between morning and evening hunts anyways. Catch and release/fly only, but hey! There are a couple real nice camp spots in the area too (again, PM me, both spots are somewhat known by locals but the less that know the better I Don't want to fight for fishing and camping space when I go haha)

Keep bear spray/guns on you though since I've crossed paths with several griz in that area.

Years ago we used to hunt the cut lines and we always got our moose by doing this..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..