Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: broadheads

Re: broadheads

my preference is the montec fixed blade 100 grain. the reason i'm not a mechanical guy is simply cuz i've seen things go wrong where you'll be at full draw only to look and see one of the blades has opened or something doesnt look quite right. it can obviously cause the flight to be messed up, or just mess with your confidence. I know tons of guys love mechanical, just not for me. my fixed blades fly just fine!

I have never tried the mechanical ones, as far as fixed I started using the cheap carbon express 100 grain fixed ones. I have used muzzy 100's before and see no difference between them in the deer that I have shot. I save a bit of money buying the cheaper ones and don't worry about trying to salvage them for replacement blades after the shot. The last deer I shot had a complete pass thru above the heart, never recovered the arrow as there was about a foot and a half of snow (35 yard shot). The deer before that one took a shot straight into the brisket and the arrow made it length ways to the left rear quarter and was just poking out of the hide (20 yard shot). That gave me enough time for a follow up pass thru shot in the lungs to put it down quicker (10 yards). I have only shot deer with these and have only bow hunted off and on for about three seasons, I was thinking about going to heavier 125 heads with a bigger cutting diameter later down the road in case I want to try for an elk or moose. I need to get more serious about practice before I go out this season.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

I like the g5 montecs. I prefer to shoot a fixed blade broadhead because there is a less chance that something would go wrong. I shot a deer last year with a montec broadhead and he went maybe 50 yrds and was dead in seconds. Only problem with them is that they get dull and can break easier if you hit the ground with them.
    Brian011

G5 Montec. Hands down. 125 gr. Flight is good, penetration excellent, single piece of steel. Durable.

Mechanical broadheads have come along way, but .... if you want to consider using a mechanical know that you need to be using top of the line mechanical heads. Just like anything that has moving parts, you buy cheap, it won't perform as well.

I have been using 100g slick tricks the last few years and have been very impressed. They fly like my field points out to 60 meters and they leave great big holes with lots of blood. I do have some T3's but have not used them on an animal yet.
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

G5 Montec here too on my crossbow. Flies well and can be honed to razor sharp or resharpened after using. I also like the big cutting area - 1 1/8 cutting diameter so bleed out is fast if you do your part.

Rage 2 blade 2" cut this fall. They fly well for me, gives me confidence in them to hit where I want every time I do my part
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I use G5 Montecs and Magnus Snuffer SS in 125gr with one bow and 100gr with the other. They fly the same, and are both tough as nails. Kill well, no concerns about them not doing their end of the job if I do mine.

These are a fixed three blade broadhead. Stainless steel construction.

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

I have used mechanicals and fixed in times past. For me, fixed is my choice. Mechanicals are not reliable or durable enough, especially on bigger game. I have used a number of fixed. Slicktricks are good, but my first choice is G5 Montecs. One piece construction, accurate, deadly and durable. 125 grain preferred.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

I am going either with Slick Trick Razor tricks, or the old style Magnus two blade broadheads this fall, both 100gr. So many styles to choose from now, so as others have said, use the ones you are most comfortable and proficient with. Seems as though many of us tweak our brands and types through the seasons... So many variables will enter the picture when you are actually out hunting and taking a shot at game, so a bad experience may be a one off thing, depending on conditions, angle of the animal to you, the list goes on ad nauseum.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant