Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frog River?

Re: Frog River?

8 hours, 80 gallons +/- at 38-42 kmh, 3600 rpm give or take. whatever you burn from there is your call, you will need 75% of that again to get out.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

From Skook's Landing (launch on the Liard) to confluence of Kechika-Gataga is 196 km. Kechika-Frog is 210 km. All distances by gps.
    It's a long, full day trip, and that's if you make brief stops without any hiccups along the way.
    Kechika is pretty much smooth sailing, there are some spots higher up that will have you guessing (bars/channels/log jams) which channel to take, basically muddy/murky water, you can't see the bottom.
    Kechika between Gataga-Frog is narrower and more twisty, several log jam areas and some skinny channels that can be exciting, water clears up a bit.
    Frog is very clear water, but twisty and shallow with skinny rock sections, current is mild to moderate, faster in the narrows, best suited for smaller boats, 14-16 ft. is perfect. 18's do it, but a little trickier. A few white knuckle sections.
    You will hit bottom on the Frog, UHMD is a wise choice.
    Jack Stone Creek is pretty much as far as you can get up the Frog, depending on conditions and how bad you want to bash and bruise your boat.
    Not many make it as far as the Frog, don't expect to see others, if any at all, be completely self-reliant and prepared for anything,.....fuel is #1 priority.
    Be prepared to bust bush and hike/climb off the river to hunt, bush right to water's edge the whole way, except for a few creek outfalls.

You can only get about 4-5 km. further up the Kechika from Frog.

Gataga is very milky, some sharp rock sections, a few massive log jams, scenery is spectacular !!

Fuel burn with mine was exactly 1.2 liter/km going up, 0.8 liter/km coming down; average fuel burn over total trip was 1.0 liter/km.......20 ft. Alicraft/250 SJ.
    Great trip(s), real adventure, as remote as you'll ever get by boat, have fun.

enyimfo on frog lake?direction to head in?trails? i no,i no....lol but if i don't ask...? i may never no.
    thanks

last time up i had my 15 ft. 22inch tube Zeebec with a yamaha jet 30 hp. took my time camped out all good