Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trail cam for cold, cold weather

trail cam for cold, cold weather

What's the best trail cam for: cold weather, large volume of pics, long battery life. I am pretty sure I heard Bushnell recommended. Does the Security case for their Trophy Cam HD work? Can you insulate the trail cam? Never dealt with one before so pardon my stupidity. Thanks for all friendly advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: trail cam for cold, cold weather

I have not had great luck with cold, cold weather with Moultrie, and Tasco.

trophy cam uses AAs and is supposed to have the best battery life, so it should still have the same in cold weather.

Maybe you can rig up a solar panel??

insulation will have no affect on cold cold unless you heat the camera, which would be weird

how cold are we talking here.. Ive used my cams in -20 but no colder then that. batteries will obviously not be as good, and i think the trigger time slows down as well..
    i find the trophy cams by bushnell to be great cams, have not tried out any of the newest ones tho..-they keep gettin better every year..

I am not as knowledgeable about this as many, but I do own a few trail cams.
    The Tascos that I have take AA's and have a short battery life.
    The Bushnell models that I have take D cell batteries and last most of the summer months.
    I can't help with info for the cold but I would expect the bigger batteries to last longer.
    Patiently waiting here on my roof for the mob of Zombies. Can't wait!!!

I know people who have adapted bushnell trail cams to work with external 12V deep cycle batteries for extended use in cold weather with success.

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    I know people who have adapted bushnell trail cams to work with external 12V deep cycle batteries for extended use in cold weather with success.
    thats gotta be the best source for a good power source- a car battery... hopefully cam is close to the pickup so dont have to pack the big battery too far.. i dont use my cams that take the D batteries as much as the cams which take AA's- the D's surprisingly dont last as long as the AA's.

Quote Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
    how cold are we talking here.. Ive used my cams in -20 but no colder then that. batteries will obviously not be as good, and i think the trigger time slows down as well..
    i find the trophy cams by bushnell to be great cams, have not tried out any of the newest ones tho..-they keep gettin better every year..
    Thanks, sounds about right.-20 will do.I read rechargeble NiCads last the longest? True? Now to find the best price, thanks for the information!

I've heard Moultries are bad in the cold. I've owned Bushnells, and a friend owned tascos. Tasco makes crap, like old Goldstar before they became LG.
    My low to medium range Bushnells disappointed me in every way except not getting stolen.

A friend uses the UWAY NX50, and has his eye on the new NX150 (?), and raves about them, in all ways, in all weather.
    Maybe he'll chime in when he gets back from putting some out to soak.

I use a Reconyx RC60 with lithiums. It gets put up in March and taken down in December. The batteries last the entire season while taking a few thousand pictures. Extreme cold seems to have little effect on these cameras. They aren't cheap though.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.