Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trail cam for cold, cold weather

Re: trail cam for cold, cold weather

Uway or scout gaurd, I have two of each and they work well in my manitoba whitetail hunt in -20 and the batteries I change once a year, and some of my elk areas if get 200 plus pictures a week

For cold temperature and long duration I would use lithium disposables. Something like this.

http://www.energizer.com/batteries/u.../Pages/aa.aspx

They're rated from -40°C to 60°C and they will outlast any alkaline, NiCD or NiMH AA batteries out there. They're pricey but they sure last. I use them in my GPS, my SPOT and 2 of my cameras that I don't get to very often. Damn, deer meat is expensive
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Thumbs up Re: trail cam for cold, cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    Uway or scout gaurd, I have two of each and they work well in my manitoba whitetail hunt in -20 and the batteries I change once a year, and some of my elk areas if get 200 plus pictures a week
    The Uway cameras look likea good choice, thanks for the heads up, never even heard of them.

They are a sponsor on the site as well as Omenica Source For Sports and Grouse River outfitters carries them as well.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Working in the cold has more to do with the batteries than the camera. Lithium are what you need after about -10, not cheap but they do last a long time. I modded my cams so I can use the rechargeable lithium-polymer batteries I use on my RC planes, it works great. I have Bushnell and Tasco cams, 5 in all.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    The Uway cameras look likea good choice, thanks for the heads up, never even heard of them.
    they are great I am so happy to have them, I hope to get the one that sends pictures to my cell phone one day that would be unreal

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    they are great I am so happy to have them, I hope to get the one that sends pictures to my cell phone one day that would be unreal
    Are the security boxes worth buying??

yes, I had one with out and someone stole my SD card, if they want to steal your cam they will cut the cable lock

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I've heard Moultries are bad in the cold. I've owned Bushnells, and a friend owned tascos. Tasco makes crap, like old Goldstar before they became LG.
    My low to medium range Bushnells disappointed me in every way except not getting stolen.

A friend uses the UWAY NX50, and has his eye on the new NX150 (?), and raves about them, in all ways, in all weather.
    Maybe he'll chime in when he gets back from putting some out to soak.

I have had the medium bushnal, cheap crappy tire ones and my last one has been a Moultrie that my wife bought me as a gift. By far the Moultrie has been the best. I am on my third season with the original batteries I installed. I also have left the camera on a tree through last winter in Alberta and I am showing 40percent battery life after more then 1000 pictures.

I do not know if a got the good one out of the batch, but would definitely buy another Moultrie.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    Are the security boxes worth buying??
    Yes, but not always for the reasons you think.

Mine is lag bolted to a tree and this guy managed to almost pull it off the tree. The box ended up pretty bent but it was repairable. The camera by itself would have been destroyed.

If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.