Thread: Tuning broadhead help?

Tuning broadhead help?

So i currently shoot rage 2 blade broadheads and shoot very good groops at 60yrds. My question is... Is it harder to tune a fixed 3 blade compaired to a 4 blade? I'm understanding that in order for a 3 blade to tune well a good starting point is to line the blades up with your fletching but what about a 4 blade? I wanna shoot fixed blade for larger game as I also believe they are alot stronger agains larger bones and hold up better at haster speeds and more konetic energy? Am I wrong?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tuning broadhead help?

first off good bow choice Yota

if your shooting very good groups at 60 yards you may not want to change anything !

tuning 2,3,4 blade broadheads may/will be different from bow to bow

lining up fletch on 3 blade broadhead and/or offsetting the fletch made no difference at all in my hunting bows (and one of my hunting bows is a Vendetta like yours)

ok thanks Ruger4 the only reason i ask is i dont wanna fork out a bunch more money on broadheads that arent gonna work well. what arrows and broad heads do you use with your bow? and what game are you after?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger4 View Post
    first off good bow choice Yota

if your shooting very good groups at 60 yards you may not want to change anything !

tuning 2,3,4 blade broadheads may/will be different from bow to bow

lining up fletch on 3 blade broadhead and/or offsetting the fletch made no difference at all in my hunting bows (and one of my hunting bows is a Vendetta like yours)

Agreed... If you really wanna change your bh set up ... for example for more bleeding area (bigger hole) I would make for sure that your arrows are squared off properly and have correct spine ... If you are getting groups comparible with field points at 60 with 2 bladers I suspect you are good to go
    to a 4 blade system
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I tuned for Broad heads on Sunday at the Bowmen. I'm just shooting a package Pse Brute 70 lb (Chrono's at 280 fps) with a ripcord rest and a Cobra boomslang 5 pin sight. My arrows are Beman bowhunters 400 spine with 100 grain Fx-3 broad heads (3 blade) they look like Muzzy's or Thunderheads but way cheaper. When i set up my broad heads I used teflon tape to index my fletches, it worked well for me the tape acts as a washer but also locks the thread enough that it doesn't loosen in flight but still makes for easy broad head removal for the off season. After using the tape to index I give them a spin, if they spin true they should fly true. If they don't you may need to do some tweaking or filing of inserts or spacers. I used an arrow that wasn't indexed perfectly and a broad head with dented blade at the club for my walk back tuning. Out to 50 yards my broad heads hit within 2 inches of my field points, so I have no complaints. I think the keys are to make sure your center shot and rest timing are set up properly, and broad head indexing can't hurt.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzie View Post
    I tuned for Broad heads on Sunday at the Bowmen. I'm just shooting a package Pse Brute 70 lb (Chrono's at 280 fps) with a ripcord rest and a Cobra boomslang 5 pin sight. My arrows are Beman bowhunters 400 spine with 100 grain Fx-3 broad heads (3 blade) they look like Muzzy's or Thunderheads but way cheaper. When i set up my broad heads I used teflon tape to index my fletches, it worked well for me the tape acts as a washer but also locks the thread enough that it doesn't loosen in flight but still makes for easy broad head removal for the off season. After using the tape to index I give them a spin, if they spin true they should fly true. If they don't you may need to do some tweaking or filing of inserts or spacers. I used an arrow that wasn't indexed perfectly and a broad head with dented blade at the club for my walk back tuning. Out to 50 yards my broad heads hit within 2 inches of my field points, so I have no complaints. I think the keys are to make sure your center shot and rest timing are set up properly, and broad head indexing can't hurt.
    I see Cabelas has a FX 3 Broad head like you said great price! Have you used them on game?

Planning to as soon as bow season opens up, I'm sure they'll do the job.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon