Thread: Hunting in the rain

Hunting in the rain

for the guys on here that have experiance hunting with your bow in the rain, do you have to alow drop in your arrow for the weight of the rain? I am trying to be prepared for upcoming bow elk season, just in case there is wet weather

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in the rain

At ethical distances it shouldn't matter. One thing I will say is that if you are hunting elk (or anything ) in the rain be extra damn sure of your shot placement. Rain will quickly wash out your blood trail so you'll be tracking the hard way. (don't ask me how I know). You will want the animal to go down really quick. I'm not saying don't hunt in the rain, just be aware of the risks.

'yote

no.............................

thanks guys, I dont plan on any long shots, I would be happy just with a couple close incounters

DJ it probably wont rain here before hunting season now !! but if it does I have a tree stand up in the pasture for practice on my glendel , come on by and shoot some arrows for piece of mind if you like.........

If its raining hard and your using a "peep" sight, check it regularily as the peep hole can fill with water and when the opportunity for a shot comes it adds a bunch of stress to your hunt, I have first hand experience and its not fun after waiting all that time for the chance.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've not noticed any appreciative difference when shooting in the rain (other than extreme temperature differences) I practice both during dry and wet periods out to 60 yards, sometimes even when raining fairly hard. Our range has a covered area for the shooter so that the bow isn't in the rain. As mentioned though, you have to have patience and determine if you'll have a good chance of tracking recovery. I've personally let many opportunities go because I deemed tracking success during heavy rain in the specific area unlikely.

My answer to your question is no, given you are not hunting in a torrential downpour. I welcome rainy fall days as a bowhunter as they allow you to be absolutely silent and I have had good succes still hunting during these conditions. Yes, the rain washes blood away pretty damn fast, but it is still very doable.

I don't like the idea of holding over/under for any reason that I cannot predict "ie, rain, wind, animal dropping etc. " Like others above, this point is usually driven home by a bad experience. I think with archery, you need to shoot at the same point every time and thats heart/lungs and if you think heavy rain is going to affect that, or high wind etc, don't shoot.