Page 33 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: No moose hunting in Area 5

Re: No moose hunting in Area 5

Not aimed at one particular member, but lets review the guideliunes for HBC

3. Belittling or Racist comments of any kind on HuntingBC.ca will not be tolerated.

Before you hit the send button out of anger, reread your post...

This is a forum which has FN members on it, as well this is in open discussion that anyone can read (even non HBC'ers).... If you want us lumped into the group of white, redneck, hillbillies who hate FN's, be advised the comments could come back to haunt us....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

When I read srupps discussion with the chief I think I found some hidden messages in there like the fact he promised the chief not to talk about certain parts of the conversation.it sounds to me like the chief is using this letter to get certain things done about the moose populations from the government.like a funded wolf cull or a bounty that the native hunters could profit from or for more bio work to be funded to ensure sustainability.Or mabey asking for a food subsidy because of the low moose numbers. In other words the letter might have been a bluff. I know first nations use constants to get things they want and some times its a long path that vears widely of the destination.I believe srupp that every thing is going to be ok.

I also think if the leh hunters aren't allowed to hunt the whole draw should be re done it's only fair. (mabey I'll get drawn this time)

A pot of coffee later and I finally got to the end of this thread. Interesting politics.

Despite 17 pages of dialogue, I think the core of this Territorial Moose dispute has been missed.

Review the original Letter of Notice from the Band.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64595952/Moose_Hunting.pdf

Take note of who it is addressed to and the Rational for the Ban, point 2.

"Third Party Industry" and "overharvesting of Timber".....

The BC Moose fact sheet may also reveal some evidence for the Band's actions.
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...on_may2012.pdf

Caribou Region Response plans do not include an invitation for First Nations to participate in management plans, unlike in the Skeena or Omineca.

This is my take on things from very limited information, but with a healthy dose of experience in the internal workings of First Nation/Provincial/Federal politics and negotiations.

Moose management is being used by the TL'ETINQOX-TI'N Nation to legally show active Aboriginal sovereignty status in this Territory. This showing of active management will be applied in future discussions regarding other resourse activities and an eventual Land claim/Treaty.

Unfortunatley for non-Treaty Canadian Citizens, this is how our Federal Indian Affairs system works. First Nations must prove existance of resource use for negotiation purposes. As it appears in the Moose Fact Sheet, the Province has not invited the TL'ETINQOX-TI'N Nation to help in moose management plans, and so the Nation has gone ahead and is asserting their Inherant right to do so.

Moose have become the Spotted Owl of Treaty negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    ^^^^^ close it, sure. BUT FOR EVERYONE regardless of skin color, race, ancestry etc.
    Now this i can agree with.

Okay, so here's the call to action!

I have spent several hours crafting a petition letter, and it is now ready.

I believe Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests Lands & Natural Resource Operations, would be the best addressee. Can I get a consensus, it needs to be specifically addressed to the most relevant person...

I have extremely limited experience with this type of process, so please I have written the letter but now I need your help.

I think that an online petition is good to simply show support, but that collecting physical signatures would carry even more weight and then be eligible to be presented on the floor of legislature w/ 25+ signatures.

So, here's what I propose: If you have the initiative to gather signatures in your community of hunters, please send me your email address and I will send the document to you. You will need to print it and collect signatures, then send it to me for collation. So everybody being proactive will have to pay at least postage for this cause...I'm expecting that won't be problematic.

Once the appropriate amount of time has passed (how long?) it will be physically submitted to the Minister.

If we light a fire and get on top of this, I'm thinking that two weeks should be more than enough time...is that overly optimistic? Four weeks? Suggestions please. I do not want too much time to pass and too much publicity given to other's arguments.
    Whatever...I'm going hunting

Count me in, I will PM my email address

Right on, you're first and the ball's rolling. Document on the way!

Three have stepped forward. Thanks, gentlemen!

I will PM you my email address. As far as time, I think If I had three weeks I could get quite a few sigs. But whatever you think
    Islandbowhunter. Thanks for your work.

Not sure if there's any point rushing it as the legislature isn't slated to sit until October 1. May as well let it build some numbers before sending it off.
    Catapultam habeo.