Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta non-resident sheep

Re: Alberta non-resident sheep

Nice ram, it's unusual to see Pictures of Paul without his trusted dog Close by. I'm on priority #12 this year for this same permit.

Congrats and best of luck! Was one of you a P14 and the other a P13? Looking at the stats there was 1 P14 and 4 P13 at the top of the heap headed into this years draw.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep hunter View Post
    Nice ram, it's unusual to see Pictures of Paul without his trusted dog Close by. I'm on priority #12 this year for this same permit.
    Ya, I missed not having her along. Stupid Alberta laws. Hopefully that will change in 2013.

Congrats, should make for a good hunt!

I just had a look, currently at priority 9, along with 69 other folks at par or above yours truly in draw priority...That calculates out to roughly another 34 years before I'm drawn, I CAN'T wait!! Oh wait, I'll be over 70, hey, according to some on here, isn't Alberta's system miles ahead of BC's lottery?!?!?!?!!! LOL

All kidding aside, good luck in AB this fall, hopefully I'll be in the prairies chasing a speed goat!

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Awesome...way to go. I hunter hosted a buddy from the Yukon a few years ago on that tag.....pretty awesome chance to take a nice ram. Too bad the other provinces and territories wouldn't give Albertans any opportunity to hunt sheep as well. Here's the ram that Paul took in the Willmore. Good luck!

Very nice ram! Did you have to use horses to get in there? Would you recommend it as a bowhunting area?
    It's one of the places we're looking at. Do you know anyone we can get to pack us in there?
    Place looks like a city park!
    the more we are talking to people, the more excited we are getting.
    Thanks.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
    Congrats and best of luck! Was one of you a P14 and the other a P13? Looking at the stats there was 1 P14 and 4 P13 at the top of the heap headed into this years draw.
    thanks, we were P13's and we considered 999ing this year but we're not getting any younger.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Quote Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
    Congrats, should make for a good hunt!

I just had a look, currently at priority 9, along with 69 other folks at par or above yours truly in draw priority...That calculates out to roughly another 34 years before I'm drawn, I CAN'T wait!! Oh wait, I'll be over 70, hey, according to some on here, isn't Alberta's system miles ahead of BC's lottery?!?!?!?!!! LOL

All kidding aside, good luck in AB this fall, hopefully I'll be in the prairies chasing a speed goat!

'rifle
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    REALLY looking forward to this. It's brought back sheep-hunting memories and rekindled my interest. I want to go thinhorn hunting again now.
    34 years isn't so bad......I've worked the same place for 36 and it seems like yesterday that I started. Besides, most of those ahead of you will die of old age, or be too crippled up to go so you may only have only 30 years or so. Just kidding.
    Like I said on another thread - I'm not lucky, so even if I have to have someone carry me in< at least I'll have the chance to be on a bighorn hunt.
    Now all we have to do is figure out when and where.
    We are taking any suggestions, advice, and/or help.

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Very nice ram! Did you have to use horses to get in there? Would you recommend it as a bowhunting area?
    It's one of the places we're looking at. Do you know anyone we can get to pack us in there?
    Place looks like a city park!
    the more we are talking to people, the more excited we are getting.
    Thanks.
    Yes, we got packed in for a day on horses and then it was another day and a half of backpacking into sheep country. We used U-Bar out of Grand Cache to pack us in. It's pretty open country with spooky rams so I'm not sure it would be ideal for bowhunting. Truthfully, if you have your heart set on a bow hunt, I'd wait till November and hunt the bow zone near Canmore. That's your best chance with a bow. You'd almost be wasting your time anywhere else.

thanks a bunch, that really helps a lot. My partner is onl,y interested in getting one with a bow. Me, I have the same preference, but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'd like to make the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Yes, we got packed in for a day on horses and then it was another day and a half of backpacking into sheep country. We used U-Bar out of Grand Cache to pack us in. It's pretty open country with spooky rams so I'm not sure it would be ideal for bowhunting. Truthfully, if you have your heart set on a bow hunt, I'd wait till November and hunt the bow zone near Canmore. That's your best chance with a bow. You'd almost be wasting your time anywhere else.

NR tags can be used in 410 through November, a Very nice bonus for the NR Hunter!

Brez, if you guys are focused on an Archery Ram, this is by far your best bet. Hunt Sept-Oct elsewhere, and if your tags are not filled, get over to the Bow Valley. Plus, when it comes to Rams, the November 410 hunt is also the easiest to get good information on that is not BS. For a beer, I might even tell you which valley and bowl the video was taken in.

Read and watch this carefully, several times. There is a wealth of great info in the Small Details on 410 November Rams. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKU_v...eature=related

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...76328&forum=12
    Last edited by Walking Buffalo; 07-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.