Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: should this guy be in the bush??????

Re: should this guy be in the bush??????

I believe it was stated before that the animal in question was tracked for about three hundred yards and then the trail was lost in some other tracks, while this fellow didn't do things perfect or even close to what we would like to see I don't believe he is a "loser", yes using shot depending on what size (#1 is legal) should not of been done and for that he should be reported, but it sure seems easy to pick apart others when you are typing from behind a computer!! I believe each one of us has some faults that others would not like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter
    For what its worth, I've had to help out a lot more SUV's and little pick-ups than I have cars; Just helped a guy in a Four Runner 3 days ago as a matter of fact. Guys who hunt from cars seem to know their limitations, where the SUV crowd seems to think the "4x4" button will get them out of any situation.

The first few years that I could legally hunt by myself, I did it in a 92 Sunbird with good mud+snow tires. I went a lot of places in that car and did plenty of hunting. When the snow got too deep or the road to rough, I hunted on foot, which in hind sight was the best thing that ever happened to me. The bottom line is, I'll never judge anyone for what type of vehicle they hunt out of, as long as they stay on their side of the road.

I'll agree that the guy in question could have probably better matched a weapon to his skills, but plenty of animals are wounded every year with high power(even magnum) centerfires as well.

RO
    I think we all agree the guys choice of weapon here sucked. The guys effort after the kill sucked! Even if it was a dirt road and legal, he shot it IN the road, which sucks. About the mode of transportation............So what he drives a car and he's french, who gives a rats ass. Judging someone by what they drive or their accent is simply ignorant. Last fall I recall clearly bootin' it up to my favourite Whitey spot 40Km from Kelowna. I come around this sharp corner and there is a Mazda B2600 jackknifed in the ditch being winched out by a 4Runner. You shoulda seen the look on their faces as I cruised by in 3 inches fresh stuff up the cutblock in my car lol. Little do they know I got pretty gnarly meats on the back.

Gatehouse- No one says it is a dirt road or a gravel road for that matter, just that it was shot on a "main road". Main road to me means just that, a main road. Do you shoot critters standing in the middle of a main road? I know quite a few gravel roads that are under the jurisdiction of the MOT and cannot be hunted from.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    Gatehouse- No one says it is a dirt road or a gravel road for that matter, just that it was shot on a "main road". Main road to me means just that, a main road. Do you shoot critters standing in the middle of a main road? I know quite a few gravel roads that are under the jurisdiction of the MOT and cannot be hunted from.
    I saw this same guy a few times, so I know where he hunts, and the road is a "main" but is really an overgrown, one-laned, unmaintained FSR with no MoH jurisdiction. He was perfectly legal shooting the animal as it stood on the road, despite any danger to the guy coming around the next corner. He did break the spirit of the law in making "reasonable effort" to find the animal after he hit it, but I'm certain the COs would have a tough time convincing a downtown liberal judge what "reasonable effort" is.

What really sucks is that there is a wounded animal out there because of someone's poor judgment and ill-preparedness. Hopefully some other hunter found him and managed to put him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    I would think that if it was a "non shooting" road, that woudl have been mentioned in the initial post, since everyhting else was fairly detailed.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!