Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Phones

Re: Satellite Phones

I usesd a global star on a hunt out of Atlin and it worked very well, it took about ten minutes to find a satalite.It was fine after that though.

Sorry I forgot, only buy a Iridium sat phone. 5 yrs ago I borrowed a buddies Globalstar to go into Spatsizi with my son, 8 days and we were unable to make even 1 phone call from the pos.
    (we climbed to the top of a mountain, for no reception)
    Iridium rentals are about 10bux a day or 240ish a month, plus usage..

My woman got me a 9505a for a gift, the phone is around 2g's, then a system access fee, then a minits card.. Staying in reliable contact ain't cheap.

http://www.roadpost.ca/satcom.aspx?S...FQF_hwodFlR2kA

If you want one that works get an iridium, if you want an anchor buy a global star. Their sat coverage is garbage; only way to make them work is by getting the reception times when you'll get coverage from the satellites. Make sure you plan your emergency around that.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by sheep.elk.moose fanatic View Post
    how much to rent? and how long dose the battery last?
    With the cost of all of the new things I have bought for my backpack trip this year a Sat phone or Spot isn't in the budget so I decided to rent a Sat phone. Surprisingly super cheap compared to buying one. Here in the LM you can rent for a week for about $70 plus usage. For the amount of times I will be solo and out of cell range for me renting is the right option.

Quote Originally Posted by rcar View Post
    With the cost of all of the new things I have bought for my backpack trip this year a Sat phone or Spot isn't in the budget so I decided to rent a Sat phone. Surprisingly super cheap compared to buying one. Here in the LM you can rent for a week for about $70 plus usage. For the amount of times I will be solo and out of cell range for me renting is the right option.
    Where did you rent it from? i need to line one up.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Another option you should look into is the new Delorme InReach. Not exactly sat phone but satellite texting (2-way communication) and works with any iphone or android phone and on top of that it acts as a hand held gps unit with your phone. It even gives you free maps for your phone I believe. I will be buying one here shortly. Rates are way better than sat phone and they have a plan suspension mode that brings the monthly fee down to like $3 a month when your not using it in the off season. Otherwise plans ranged from 12$ to 40$ a month I think. Haven't tried one yet myself but Delorme is a pretty big gps company so im sure they will have pretty good coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Where did you rent it from? i need to line one up.
    Hey Buck...If you google satellite phone rental vancouver, a few come up. I have not rented yet but will be doing so this fall for my goat hunt.

I've rented a couple global stars because the iridiums were not available locally at the time (all rented). These were used in north eastern BC on sheep hunts. You cannot turn it on and expect to make an immediate call... However, We just turn the phone on for short durations of 15-30 mins and leave it facing the sky... ALWAYS get service within a few minutes as the satellite passes overhead but these call windows are short (8-12 mins max - sometimes only 3-5). For my business needs it works nicely as a check in tool, one or two quick 3-5 minute conversations a day... If you want to yak at yer woman all day long than get an Iridium... lol. For emergency use get a SPOT.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Globalstar sucks a big moose knuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    I've rented a couple global stars because the iridiums were not available locally at the time (all rented). These were used in north eastern BC on sheep hunts. You cannot turn it on and expect to make an immediate call... However, We just turn the phone on for short durations of 15-30 mins and leave it facing the sky... ALWAYS get service within a few minutes as the satellite passes overhead but these call windows are short (8-12 mins max - sometimes only 3-5). For my business needs it works nicely as a check in tool, one or two quick 3-5 minute conversations a day... If you want to yak at yer woman all day long than get an Iridium... lol. For emergency use get a SPOT.
    We've had it sitting on top of a mountain in the EK at about 6800 ft, waiting for 25 min.

Here's the trick for the no star sat phones

http://calltimes.globalstar.ca/

Just get the girl to tell you the long service time and that's when we call.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela