Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Phones

Satellite Phones

Has anyone looked into satellite phones recently that could make a recommendation? I recall there being some companies that had pay as you go type plans a while ago. I will be using it while in the bush hunting this fall to check in with the family and say hi to the kids from time to time.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Satellite Phones

I saw Cabelas canada had global star ones for $500, I am not sure if global star is a good one or not. Way cheaper than other ones I have seen.

freeway communications in abbotsford..

even the pay as you go, isn't all that cheap. i rent mine to a few buddies to cover some cost.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I have had a sat phone for a decade or so and they are not much better than they were a few years ago although they keep saying the coverage will be 100 % , but still not the case. I have had plans for years and finally went to pay as you go $1.50 a min and you just pay that no other monthly fee, so even if you talked 100 min during a trip still cheaper than a small plan all year. You do sometimes have to sit and wait for the satellites to pass overhead to make a connection. The longest I have been able to connect for was 8.5 min which was fine for most check in calls, but again you might have to wait for a good connection. I will always keep mine as you never know just when you need to make that call. I use mine for safety in my business in case a problem ever occurs
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

how much to rent? and how long dose the battery last?

The Iridium have the best coverage here in BC but they are a lot more expensive than the Globalstar phones at least until they get more satellites up.I am looking to get one as well i will be solo this year.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

The batteries in my phone actually stay charged for months and never had to recharge it when on a trip, and that is using for about 30 min at the most, but shut off it holds a charge for ever
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

where i work there looking into stat phones as are next job is no cell service, the cost was said to us $500 to buy and $40 a month unlimited use, going to check into it more on tuesday chepper then cell phone,, will let you know more when i find out more,,

I have the irridium 9500. Its an older model but works great. You may find a great deal on the 9505 model. Its smaller and compact. I get the northern lights card from canada satelite every year. 6 Months usage with 200 free minutes and no activation fee. Also allows you to recharge card in 6 months. Not a big fan of globstar.

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

If you plan on going north you'll need the iridium, the global star might work in southern/central bc but good luck getting it to work along the yukon border. Absolute garbage, you're better off with smoke signals.
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.