Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satellite Phones

Re: Satellite Phones

Here's the trick for the no star sat phones

http://calltimes.globalstar.ca/
    My call time printout made good fire starter.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    My call time printout made good fire starter.
    hahah, it worked well for us last year.

Used to hate being up north, watching the bars on the battery life go down and wandering around aimlessly trying to pick up a satellite for a phone call.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I have had Globalstars for remote work purposes for seven or eight years now. About five years ago my son and I hiked 6.5 hours into a remote drainage for an LEH goat and called home to check in the first evening after setting up camp - good service. The next morning my son woke up sick as a dog and we tried to call out. I would have ordered us a 206 ride out in his condition but we couldn't get any service. That was a long tough hike out for the kid. I gave up on GS after that but when I tried to cancel my account they talked me into keeping one going at $20/month because their service was supposed to be improving in the near future.
    Last year I was alerted to the call-times tool online and found it to be accurate. The big drawback is that it only gives you four days out so longer trips you have to wing it. I used mine on a moose hunt East of Dease Lk last year and would just set it up on a small balsam tree in camp until it found service. Longest wait was about ten minutes but I checked in with the wife daily at dinner time and had perfect reception (5 mins duration).
    Last year the call-time tool identified 5-15 min windows every hour but this year the service windows are often 45 minutes or more per hour . That is a huge improvement over last year. At the price I pay I will keep the one GS phone active.

squire any more on this