Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Question Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Okay, let's try this again. My thread was one of the ones that was deleted.
    So, my 2 buddies and I were successful in our Shared Hunt LEH for bull moose in region MU 5-1 for Oct. 15-31.
    While I'm not looking for advice on honey-holes pointers towards an area will be gladly accepted via PM. I will be doing extensive online (Google Earth) scouting and plan a few trips this summer and in September too for on the ground scouting.
    Having been a deer hunter for the last 5 years (one buddy 2 years and the other a deer hunter of 10+ years) we're primarily interested in advice on moose hunting.
    What should we pack that we might not normally think of when hunting deer? What methods have you had most success with? Any pointers you wish to share would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and thanks to 835 who already gave me some great advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice for First Time Moose Hunter

Saw a few moose in 5-1 last year all cows/calfs. They were spread out all over, my advice is cover a lot of ground, get off the beaten path and find some swampy/small lake areas and do some calling, they may still respond around the 15th. The windy mountain area can be a gong show, i have seen more game in the interlakes area...

Good advice above..they STILL will respond to calling especially the younger ones who havnt had a chance to breed yet..they STILL want to try..even worn out warriors who have bred multiple times will respond..

areas that you can see over a HUGE VISTA first thing in am call..dont be shy LOUD AND PROUD...watch..watch watch..dont bail too early some will take time to come in..LISTEN ..watch ..

some cows have not been bred..they make exellent decoys..and the best attractant..some will come into a second heat also..hmm there are a few good spots in there left.

cheers
    Steven

WHEN (gotta think positive right ) you drop your moose and you're field dressing him out split the sternum all the way up. Cut everything loose and you can put it right out the back end. That way you only have bloody hands instead of blood right up to your arm pits!
    Might not be advice with the area but dressing out a moose is a lot different then a deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

read up/ watch vids on quartering an animal. a chordless sawzall is a sweet tool to have in the truck to go up the spine haha! otherwise make sure your hand saw's are well built! knife sharpener is absulutely key for skinning! you will probs have two guys skinning and 1 guy just sharpening and passing you knew ones. A quad or a packboard for getting your quarters out is nice. if you take your time and glass i'm sure you guys will see something! go get 'em

Good advice on the sharpening and hand tools. Make sure you have the right equipment when the "fun" starts.

15-30 was the draw we had last year, different area though! We had our bull down on Day 2. Called the morning with a good reply,,,, dog busted us. Went back at 4 pm had him spotted at 4:10 and dead at half past.

I only cow call, my call is very different from what you see on tv, but its a cow. When they are just out of view but you know they are there,,, and i mean just out of view.... I seal the deal with a soft ( pointing at the ground ) bull grunt. It gets them from 200 right in to 50 in a hurry. But you gotta sound like a pathetic young bull about to get some.

I dont like the bull calling and bush whacking and all that only because i am not out for a trophy. By this i mean i dont want to sound too big for a 30" bull to come into. If you are acting like a big shitkicker you will call in only a bigger shitkicker..... where as if you act like a cow who wants it you will get all the bulls.... You may miss the BIG guys because late season they may need some extra encouragement. But i personally aint a guide but doing what i said i have called in a lot of very nice bulls and a lot of 30" ers too..... Sucks when you are looking for Bullwinkle though, and a 45" goes by at 50 yds!

here is me with My partners moose from last year....... this thread needed a picture!

Last edited by 835; 06-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.

great advice 835.

There are still pockets up that way that hold a decent amount of animals. As Srupp mentioned, the younger bulls who have been kicked away during the early stages of the rut by the big boys will still be responsive as they want to get in on the action. We were still getting responses from the little guys after october 20th last year.

I have a couple hundred acres of property up there that is located in and surrounded by prime habitat. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. PM me as to where abouts you will be staying or which areas you are familiar with and I'll help you out as much as I can.

As for now, I would get on google, youtube, or even purchase a video on moose calling techniques. It is truly an art and if you can master it the results are very rewarding.

Chris

Thanks for the moose photo, 835. It will provide some additional motivation.
    Great advice, guys. Thanks. Keep it coming.