Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month to go!

1 month to go!

So, I've been reading this forum for the better part of two years. I'm one of those typical 'lurkers' who doesn't like to post often

Anyway, about a year ago we decided on a breeder and have a pure bred lab set for delivery in about a month's time. A year's worth of preparing (alot of reading this forum) and keeping it secret from the kids is about to pay off. It seems like a no brainer to get the pup immediately in to puppy school and obedience classes. I am of half a mind as well to deliver to pup to a trainer for a month to get her off to a really strong start.. what are peoples thoughts on this, and what does it cost ball park? Does anyone know?

Can't wait to get the little one and look forward to getting her out in the field!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1 month to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    So, I've been reading this forum for the better part of two years. I'm one of those typical 'lurkers' who doesn't like to post often

Anyway, about a year ago we decided on a breeder and have a pure bred lab set for delivery in about a month's time. A year's worth of preparing (alot of reading this forum) and keeping it secret from the kids is about to pay off. It seems like a no brainer to get the pup immediately in to puppy school and obedience classes. I am of half a mind as well to deliver to pup to a trainer for a month to get her off to a really strong start.. what are peoples thoughts on this, and what does it cost ball park? Does anyone know?

Can't wait to get the little one and look forward to getting her out in the field!
    Congratulations on the upcoming puppy!

What breeder are you getting her from? Yes, it is a no brainer to get pup into puppy and obedience class.

What does the breeder say about sending your 7-9 week old pup off to a trainer for a month? Do I understand that right; is that what you are asking?

No, I don't think I'd send it off for a month to train a 8 weeks old. I was thinking more when she approaches 8-12 months old. I'm open to suggestions on that from experience people on that subject actually. For now, we're going to commit to obedience school and take it from there.

Luckyshoes Retrievers is the breeder, up in Kamloops.

The norm is to wait until there adult teeth are in around 5 to 6 months. Then send it to your trainer , but your new pup will start learning from the minute you get it home. Puppy classes and lots of outings with you and your family are wonderful for pups. I show people a few simple fun games(drills) to do with there pup , These really make a big difference when they go for training. Also keep all your lessons short, 3 to 4 retrieves and that's it, you want to leave the pup wanting more.
    Did you go with a silver from Dean?
    Last edited by bcgamebirds; 05-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.

I would not send the pup to a trainer right away, the first month or two are very important bonding time between you and the dog. I have owned two labs and training them is not rocket science. Everything comes pretty natural to them, start slow, short training sessions, if you get frustrated time to stop and play with the dog. A great book if you can find it is "Water Dog" by John Wotters I believe, covers all aspects of training. Good luck. Cheers Roscoe

Quote Originally Posted by bcgamebirds View Post
    The norm is to wait until there adult teeth are in around 5 to 6 months. Then send it to your trainer , but your new pup will start learning from the minute you get it home. Puppy classes and lots of outings with you and your family are wonderful for pups. I show people a few simple fun games(drills) to do with there pup , These really make a big difference when they go for training. Also keep all your lessons short, 3 to 4 retrieves and that's it, you want to leave the pup wanting more.
    Did you go with a silver from Dean?
    Went with a choco from Dean.

The brown dog mafia grows............ its not to late to get a black one ya know, it took Kevin awhile but even he came around......... and yes, I have a brown one too.

1 day to go !

Congrats on your Lab. I have a Chocolate who is almost two years old. Best dog I've ever owned by far. Be very patient with her and she will hopefully give you many, many years of love and enjoyment!

Congrats on your puppy! We got our chocolate lab from Dean last winter. She is turning out really well.