Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Sled

Jet Sled

Hey i'm looking for some advice on what size sled and motor i should be looking for thats big enough for 2 guys and 1-2 animals. I was thinking 16' with 80-90hp. will it work?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jet Sled

as long as the boat is designed properly for the intended application that combo will fit the bill . its about design and power to weight .
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Pretty hard to beat a wooldridge alaskan, and get as much hp as you can afford.

thanks, is it possible to do the tuchodi,muskwa rivers with this set up?

I would think you would want 115 hp to be safe and even as much as 200 hp depending on the size and weight of your sled. Should really consider an 18 or even 20 in a woolridge type sled. Anything under 100hp or going to get used up pretty quick with 2 guys and your gear. You need to get up on plane quick.
    Last edited by Buckmaster; 05-27-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo

Too big an engine puts to much weight at the back and it's ass will drag so it has to be proportional for the boat, i think suzuki and merc make a 140/150 thats as light as a 90 I like this combo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3EpeXt0xxZE

Those wooldridges 16ft are pretty light even with a load it will get on step in less then half a dozen seconds fully loaded and even before its on step it still wont draft as much as a big boat .
    The bigger the boat the more power and weight needed to get equal strength and perfomance.

Our boat is under 15 (kinda a wooldridge clone) and it isnt too small in any way shape or form for two or three people and gear or even a MC with the full load its on step faster then most boats because of the design and fuel consumption is very good also .

You dont need a big boat or tons of power if you look at this video power to weight and hull design is the biggest factor .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXger...tailpage#t=14s

That being said a mid mount ecotec type engine and a hamilton are gonna be the next combo and it may even be smaller .
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

forget the outboard jet ,triple the fuel half the speed . spend a bit of time on meanchicken forum , power and speed are everything a loaded jet boat with 2 guys, gear ,two moose need to go fast to not drag rock on the muskwa , two throttle positions on and more on (downstream)

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    forget the outboard jet ,triple the fuel half the speed . spend a bit of time on meanchicken forum , power and speed are everything a loaded jet boat with 2 guys, gear ,two moose need to go fast to not drag rock on the muskwa , two throttle positions on and more on (downstream)
    obviously you know nothing about outboard jets

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    obviously you know nothing about outboard jets
    I have to concur; nothing uses less gas then a good ob and the new etecs are sic;

1899 Guest

Wouldn't the main concern be fuel capacity on those longer Muskwa/Tuchodi trips? Or does the lower weight, smaller output balance things off?