Thread: Strother sx-1

Strother sx-1

I am looking into getting my first bow and my cousin inlaw has one for sale. It has new limbs and strings, he wants 500 for it. I will need to get a rest and a release for it. Do you guys think this would be a good deal? I feel kind of stuck into buying a strother cause his dad owns the shop the machine shop that makes the risers.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Strother sx-1

your getting a top notch product in a Strother, there workmanship is of very high quality, the only thing with the sx1 is it has a 6 1/2 inch brace height and may be a bit aggressive for a first time shooter, there fast and smooth shooters, at 500 for bare bow you cant go wrong

Are the risers made in Canada?

I have a Strothers SR71 and I really like it. It's super fast and shoots great. I think the SX1 was suppose to be the newer SR71 but I liked the SR so much I kept it.
    Success = Marry the right person, this single decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.

Bow Walker Guest

As donny.brooke mentioned - the shorter brace height might be a bit difficult to start out with. But having said that, don't let it stop you from buying. Just pay lots of attention to shooting form when you are practicing - until you've got a good form ingrained into you - and you're good to go.

Most brace heights these days are between 6 and 7 inches. Less than 6 inches is considered to be a "short" brace height. Most fast bows have brace heights that are in or around the 6.5 inch mark. All it means is that you better be shooting with a stable form, that's all.

$500 is a not bad price. Figure about another $250 for sight, release, peep, and stabilizer.

a great bow ..... dont worry about the short brace ... It will only teach you to shoot properly ... one of my first bows was a Hoyt Super-tec 5.75" brace .... Taught me alot about proper shooting form otherwise I got me a big ass welt on my inner arm

5 bills for it ... while not what I would call a "Family" deal .... I would pay that for that bow
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Not to Hijack a thread or anything but I thought I should post this about brace Height. It has helped me because I am a 27" DL and having a shorter BH has never really effected me. So the information I am posting below is from another Archery website with some great information. Enjoy.

People have limited understanding of brace height.

Things like it's effect on speed, torque, draw length, etc.

It is really simple.

Brace height, is the distance from the string at brace (rest), to the grip.

Draw length, is the distance from the string at full draw, to the grip, plus 1.75". Don't ask me why we add 1.75". I really have no idea.

All you need to know, is that we do.

So, if we subtract the brace height and 1.75", from the draw length, we get the really important number that effects how fast the bow will shoot an arrow.

The power stroke.

DL - 1.75" - BH = power stroke.

If your draw length is 28", you would figure out your power stroke on a bow with a 7" brace height, as follows:

28" - 1.75" = 26.25".

26.25" - 7" = 19.25".

So, a shooter with a 29" DL has the same power stroke with a 8" brace height, as a shooter with a 27" DL has with a 6" brace height.

If the two bows are otherwise identical, they will both shoot the same arrow, at the same speed.

Draw length, is adjusted by changing how much string the cam(s) feed out.
    That, changes the power stroke, but the brace height doesn't change.

Shortening the power stroke by 1", will reduce arrow speed by about 10 F.P.S.

You don't have to change the power stroke, in order to change the draw length. You can change the brace height, instead of changing the power stroke.

If a bow has a 7" brace height, and a 20.25" power stroke, it has a 29" DL. If you move the grip 1" closer to the string, the DL will be 28", but the power stroke and the speed, will remain the same.

The only thing that really changed was the brace height.
    Success = Marry the right person, this single decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas111 View Post
    Are the risers made in Canada?

I have a Strothers SR71 and I really like it. It's super fast and shoots great. I think the SX1 was suppose to be the newer SR71 but I liked the SR so much I kept it.
    the risers are done in house, Strother does alot of CNC machining for the aerospace industry, well its the parent company that does the machining, there is a great video on youtube that gives you a plant tour and they explain the CNC machining process

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered this book for a read, Bowhunters Guide to Accurate Shooting. I married an american, its her cousin he lives in Michigan. If you go to the strother website he is the guy on the right.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr