Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest Options?

Rest Options?

I am looking at changing out the arrow rest on my bow. The last couple of bows I've owned have had drop away rests, but it seems new developments in rest technology allow for the arrow to be encased without (allegedly) adveresly affecting speed and issues of deflection. I like the look of the Octane rests, but really I'm pi$$ing in the wind. I can't wrap my head around the Whisker Biscuits, and how they don't affect flight in some way, although I understand lots of guys use them and love them. So my question to you folks out there, drop away or not? And why? For clarification, this is more of a hunting bow than a target bow, and no, I cannot provide specifics such as arrow speed except for the manufacturer's (Diamond) propaganda...
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Rest Options?

Whisker Biscuits are good for hunting if you don't mind the loss speed involved - minimal I know, but some are obsessed - probably around 5 - 8 fps. Big deal.

Personally I use an APA Safari Twister for both my hunting and my target bows. Containment, minimal contact with the arrow upon release, and easy to install/adjust. I've been using the APA's for about 10 years now - don't see myself switching any time soon.

I've also heard good things about the QAD Ultra rests. Might give those a look if you're in the market.

In my experience I've found the QAD Ultra to be the best rest. It is the only one I've used however Might try out a NAP Apache next
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    In my experience I've found the QAD Ultra to be the best rest. It is the only one I've used however Might try out a NAP Apache next
    Serious?????????

I had a whisker biscuit, just couldn't believe in it. Both my bows have drop away. I really like the http://www.ripcordarrowrest.com/ code red.

Ripcord Code reds are great ... Best of Both worlds ..... I once had a WB on a Diamond I once owned ... But I sold that Bow to some Guy I know. APA twister safari are Damn good rests as well ... The problem with Whisker bisquits ... is that every form flaw you may have is amplified .... the same with Hostage rests ... the other problem with Hostages is that the brushes wear very quickly ... I would not use a Hostage unless I had a large supply of replacement brushes on my shelf. I am running to Teds on Tuesday to buy another Code red to put onto my newest rig.

If I recall correctly at 29 draw .. and about a 425 grain arrow, limbs matted at 70 pounds weight you should be getting around 280ish.... not that it matters alot if you put arrow where you want
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Ripcord Code reds are great ... Best of Both worlds ..... I once had a WB on a Diamond I once owned ... But I sold that Bow to some Guy I know. APA twister safari are Damn good rests as well ... The problem with Whisker bisquits ... is that every form flaw you may have is amplified .... the same with Hostage rests ... the other problem with Hostages is that the brushes wear very quickly ... I would not use a Hostage unless I had a large supply of replacement brushes on my shelf. I am running to Teds on Tuesday to buy another Code red to put onto my newest rig.

If I recall correctly at 29 draw .. and about a 425 grain arrow, limbs matted at 70 pounds weight you should be getting around 280ish.... not that it matters alot if you put arrow where you want
    Does Ted keep them in stock or do you need to special order them? The thing is, the rest on the bow I bought from some guy on this site is perfectly fine, I would suspect it's something I'm doing in the draw cycle that sometimes makes the arrow move off the "v". This is fine when shooting at targets, but no so much when I'm trying to draw on game. Trying to minimise the point sources of error. Of course I could practice more...

[QUOTE=todbartell;1151299] In my experience I've found the QAD Ultra to be the best rest. It is the only one I've used however Might try out a NAP Apache next [\QUOTE]

And am I to assume your employer keeps these in stock? Might swing past the PG location after work and have a boo at them
    Last edited by Sideofabarn; 05-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Sideofabarn View Post
    Does Ted keep them in stock or do you need to special order them? The thing is, the rest on the bow I bought from some guy on this site is perfectly fine
    Ted has the Code Red in stock. What rest are you fighting with now?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Ted had about 20 code red rests in stock on mon

Rip cord is a tough rest to beat IMHO
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by Sideofabarn View Post
    Does Ted keep them in stock or do you need to special order them? The thing is, the rest on the bow I bought from some guy on this site is perfectly fine, I would suspect it's something I'm doing in the draw cycle that sometimes makes the arrow move off the "v". This is fine when shooting at targets, but no so much when I'm trying to draw on game. Trying to minimise the point sources of error. Of course I could practice more...
    Ya that happens when there is a bit of nock pinch .... the tied knock points are probally a bit close together as I am certain the previous owner was shooting G-nocks for the most part(they are a bit smaller than typical nocks)... The other thing that does that typically is the nocks themselves might be a a half a c-hair tight on the string ... a new nock with a wider opening will cure that.

Ted Normally keeps them on the shelf (Code Reds) as they are the biggest sellers around here for the last few years.

If I recall right that was the Trophy taker original .... with the small V .... shortly after that came out TT came out a "Shakey Hunter" with much deeper grooves to combat that very phenomenon.

You could solve the problem very cheaply ... But that said for the piece of mind that a containment rest affords ... It wouldnt be a bad idea.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask