Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Re: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

I killed a 6x7 bull elk a few years ago,, he had a broad-head lodged in his pelvis, probably for a couple of years, as the broad-head had worn a large portion of his pelvis, from constant walking movements,actually drilling a hole about 2 inches in diameter in the pelvic bone, the broad-head was partially covered by a "cyst" and was in perfect condition, the bull elk walked with a serious limp
    until he died from a 200 gr bullet from my .308 Norma Mag ,at 20 paces( bow-hunting-range)

the elk must have suffered tremendous pain in those many months carrying that arrow-head

the triple blade broad-head did not kill the elk , even after a couple of years, the broad-head was in pristine condition,,

just because there IS some blood , does not guarantee a dead animal
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Good height + right behind the leg = Dead bear .... it probally only penitrated that short because you hit the side clavicle or shoulder socket ... A bh is now bouncing around the innards cutting up everything ....

check under every nook and bush ... you will have yerself a pepperoni factory ..
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Good LUCK ! I hope you find your Bear today !

Cheers RJ

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Your in the lml so if you need some help, let me know..............
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Bow Walker Guest

Dog, peroxide spray, a helping hand from a buddy and you'll have a de-boning job on your hands today.

Take advantage of all the help that' been offered to look for that dead bear. It'll be laying under the gnarliest pile of deadfall that is out there - dead.

UPDATE: So I went this morning with my dog. I went to where I lost the blood trail. Found it back within 5 minutes. Then I followed some good splashes, but none of significance. Then more blood all of a sudden. My dog goes on the top of a hill and stopped in his tracks. I know something is up. So I abandon the blood trail to see what's going on. There, 100 yards off, a bear, that looks just like mine is slowly walking away. I have no idea at this point, but I decide to go check where I last saw it. Nothing, no blood at all. Then I returned to where I last saw blood, only to see the trail disappear. Again. I spend hours trying to find it back to no avail. Canvassed the whole place, saw more bear droppings, but no blood. I decided to follow the game trail where I saw the bear go for about 30 minutes, but never saw anything, not even blood.

I came back to where I lost the trail. Now I see something that I didn't notice at first. The blood seems to be on both side of the branch. Now, I think the bear doubled back and it would explain why I couldn't find anything further. However, I still can't find anything. I wonder if it turned around and stayed until the bleeding stopped. Anyway, after near 9 hours of searching, I abandoned.

Nasty, if you want to go for a final bout, I would be more than happy to show you where I lost the track, and where I think the bear doubled back.
    SG

The bloody arrow.

The last blood mark. You can see here the blood on the left and the right. That's what convinced me that the bear doubled back.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Pm sent...........
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Two things always in my pack - peroxide in a spray bottle, and a roll or surveyors tape. I mark every sinificant blood spot, or every 10 yards or so. Losing the trail and looking back at a line of ribbon tied in the trees can help give a good persective of where the trail is heading. Backing out wasn't a mistake. I always sit tight for half an hour or so, following right away is the most common error, you can push the animal out of a bed and never see them again. Failing that, I am going home to get one of my beagles.

That sucks I might be able to help in a search tomorrow if you not working. I'm not a great tracker or anything but it's another set of eye's. Let me know
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................