Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Re: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Stephane, WHEN you get it call me. I'll plug in the cooler and we can cut it here, steps from work LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I like the "WHEN" instead of "if". Thanks, David. So, expect a call tomorrow afternoon

Almost every PH in South Africa uses Jack Russels for trailing wounded game. Yours should be a natural.

If you got ten inches of penetration, then you very likely have a dead bear. If you didn't hear him crashing off while you were trailing, chances are he's close by where you left off.

Many wounded animals will travel in a straight line, if possible. Stand on the last blood found and then look back down the blood trail then keep going in that same line. You should be able to find enough sign to trail him, but if you can't, look for easy travel routes. Bears are notoriously hard to spot after they are dead, since they lay flat and it's often dark under the big trees. so don't give up easily.

Good luck. I think you'll find your bear.

As a side note. You don't cut your tag untill you have recovered an animal. All ethical/moral stuff aside, legaly you don't.

Did you hit it ahead of the leg or behind? Shot angle?
    Last edited by Ambush; 05-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

I shot it broadside, no angle. The height was spot on, but I saw the lighted nock in front of where I wanted to shoot. But behind the leg. I think he snapped the arrow when he moved his leg back.

As for the tag, I was told the same via PM. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    Almost every PH in South Africa uses Jack Russels for trailing wounded game. Yours should be a natural.

If you got ten inches of penetration, then you very likely have a dead bear. If you didn't hear him crashing off while you were trailing, chances are he's close by where you left off.

Many wounded animals will travel in a straight line, if possible. Stand on the last blood found and then look back down the blood trail then keep going in that same line. You should be able to find enough sign to trail him, but if you can't, look for easy travel routes. Bears are notoriously hard to spot after they are dead, since they lay flat and it's often dark under the big trees. so don't give up easily.

Good luck. I think you'll find your bear.

As a side note. You don't cut your tag untill you have recovered an animal. All ethical/moral stuff aside, legaly you don't.

Did you hit it ahead of the leg or behind? Shot angle?

I'd say you're going to have to skin a a bear tomorrow. Looking forward to the pics.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Sounds like u got good penetration. You will find him, and have some work to do. Looking forward to pictures.
    Somebody call a doctor!!! It's been longer than 4 hours!!

I hope it works out well today for you. Post some pics of it when you get home.
    I use camouflage flagging tape when in the bush, that way no one see's my trails or follows me into my spots.

I agree I think you'll definately have a dead bear. Your dog shoud work great. Bears are well known for hard blood trails. More so when they all the extra fat in the fall. 10inchs of penetration is enough to go through one lung.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Remember bears vitals are a little more forward then other animals

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Post when you are back with your bear! I'm hoping you got'em, good luck!