Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Exclamation HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Hi guys, I need advice quickly. I shot a bear today, it should have been my first bow kill. 37yd, broadside. However, the arrow hit a bit too much in the front. The arrow fell off. It actually broke. It seems like it went 10 inches in .(from the blood on the shaft and what's missing) I went to retrieve my arrow right away. When I got there, I could see the bear walking down below. I left and came back 50 minutes later. It could have been my first mistake.

BLOOD TRAIL: I had a hard time seeing at first - only drops. Then I saw a nice pool, then another and I really got excited. It turned to drops again. Then the bear took a dump and again a bigger amount of blood was pooled there. A few yards and 2 nice pooling then a small smear then it vanished. It was 7:15 and I was by myself and I decided to check again in the morning.
    HELP: When you lose the blood trail, how do you go about to find it again? I marked where I last saw blood. I'll be there early in the morning to see if I can find it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Anyhow, I cut my first tag, but not so proud. . . a bit ashamed actually.

Thanks,

Stéphane

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HELP! I lost the blood trail!

Dogs would be a big help for sure.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Sounds like you did things right. When you go back to last blood sign start making circles around that spot small working out to see which direction it might have gone. And yes a good dog would be helpful but I bet you see him laying a short distance from last position, good luck
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

x2 Doesn't matter if the dog is trained, put them on blood and they won't let you down. Borrow a dog or have a friend help if you don't have one. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 spike View Post
    Dogs would be a big help for sure.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

with that much blood sounds like you got it, but bears have a low heart rate and could take awhile, but if your saying there were pools I think if he beds down you should have a bear near by. Is it a gun area? I suggest you bring someone with you to help.

Be very wary when you're trailing in the morning, he could still be quite alive. If there is a water source nearby, check that as it is very likely he will head for that to lay in and maybe try to stop the blood flow.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Where are you Stephane? Maybe somebody close can come lend a hand?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Thanks a lot guys! I'll go with my Jack Russell tomorrow. Yes it is a gun area, and this was the 3rd bear I saw in the exact same spot. A huge black one in the morning and this brown one. So, if you feel like carrying quarters of bear. . .

As well as a dog a spray bottle with some peroxide really helps to show up any small drops that you might other wise miss
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

I'm at home right now(Abbotsford) but the bear in is passed Hope.
    As for the pool, they're small though. The first ones were more encouraging. However, I can't imagine it being able to survive with a broadhead lodged inside.