Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle question!

Rifle question!

Okay so here is the dilemma I have. My gf's father has added my name to his annual group moose hunt LEH draw ticket, GREAT! #1 problem he has never done that before for any of the guys she has dated...So I know I am in like Flynn. Only issue is that I dont own a rifle as of yet...And I dont know that much about civilian rifles. I am in the Canadian Navy and am used to firing things like the 5.56mm C-7, the Sig Sauer 9mm also the MP5 which also fires 9mm and the Remington 870 Tactical. So I really dont know what to compare those to on the civilian side of things less the Remington 870 that one is easy. But when your used to shooting a C7 (if you guys need comparison think M1A1 stuff like that, all the same thing, different designs same NATO round lol) so kick back and the sorts I dont know what to think of. I have read that a .300 winchester will take down a moose, but what is a good middle ground to start off at? I have been looking at the Remington 770 with .300 win because it comes with a starter scope and I really like the look and feel, but once again have never fired one.

Any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rifle question!

the 770 is cheap for a reason that being said I had one in a 7mm and really liked it the action was a little sticky but all in all it shouldered well and shot 1 to 1 1/2 groups so for a rifle your gonna shoot a few times a year what more could you ask for? that being said the scopes are shit so you will need a new one and really if you plan on shooting it as your go to gun your probably better off findind a used m700 and spending the extra couple hundred bucks and getting the better gun just my 2cents

cheers
    IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED RELOAD!!!

Savage makes affordable package rifles, a step up from the 770 I'd say.
    Lots of opinions on cartridges as well. 300 win mag is good, but stout. 308 and 30-06 are fine choices with less recoil

Thanks RJ, wasnt sure how that all worked out (I am taking my CFSC June 2 and 3rd)

okay I think I like that AXIS XP Camo from Savage in comparison to the Remington 770...Now as it goes for scopes what does 3-9x40 mean? I am guessing that the 3-9 means 3"x 9" long? But whats the 40 lol

A 30-06 will give you the most punch for your dollar in any big-game cartridge, and will take down anything on this continent.

Find a decent SMLE if you want to go really cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

3x-9x magnification, 40mm objective lens.

The notation takes that form because your pupil is usually 3-5mm wide. Multiply 5mm (dilated in low light) by 9x magnification, and you have 45mm of useful objective lens potential. 40mm means that you are not losing image illumination until you zoom in a little past eight times.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 05-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I know this is going to sound really lame, but I grew up shooting the Lee Enfields in cadets which were converted to .22's lol, they were great as 22's dont know how they would work out non converted

yip, the 30-06 is a good choice, savage has the gun and rifle combo,fairly cheap. scope is usually crap but the gun is great for the price.
    there is no such thing as a empty gun!

Id step up from the axis line, to the 11/111 series. Still probably under 500 bucks.
    If you consider used rifles, you would be able to step into Tikka, Remington 700 and the higher end Savages as well as Rugers.
    What's the total budget including scope?