Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stores with Ranges?

Stores with Ranges?

So, I have been doing a bunch of research on bows, and I feel as though the more I know about them and the technologies the harder a decision it is becoming on which bow i will end up buying. So, my question to you folks is where can I go to try out a few bows, send some arrows down the range. At this point I'm just going to base my decision on feel. I'm in Port Alberni so some place close would be great. Looking mainly for Bowtech, Mathews, PSE and APA as that is where most of my searching has lead me.

Thanks guys,
    Mark.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stores with Ranges?

Island outfitters has a bow range

just buy a PSE, they are the best
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Bow Walker Guest

To my knowledge the only stores with a bit of a shooting range in them are Bucky's in Duncan and Island Outlaws in Victoria.

Both those ranges are only about 10 - 12 yards long, but that's perfect for getting the feel of a bow. You're mainly looking at how it feels when you first pick it up, how it feels when you draw through the draw cycle, and how it feels when you release the shot. The way bow feels after those three very subjective 'tests' will help you pick out one particular bow.

After that (when you get it set up for your particular shooting form) it's a matter of practice, practice, and more practice - until the bow feels like a part of your arm. You've got to become totally familiar with the characteristics of your particular bow to be a a consistently accurate shooter.

x2 wat Mr. Bow walker said. The best way to pick a bow is to try a few and choose the one you like most. Then get it setup properly for you. Too many new bowhunters just look through a recent hunting magazine an order a bow. You can also look at any local archery clubs and go out to it. You'll find most people at them very friendly and you may get to try a cple bows

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

What brands should I expect at those 2 dealers? Any insight on warrantee services from any of the listed brands? Has anybody just had an awful time with customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post

Pretty Shitty Excuse for a bow. You long for a Mathews, but you're hen pecked, so you settled.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Point Shoot Explode

If you really wanted the best you shouldve followed my advice and gotten an Elite .

But we all understand your handicap .... ....Just write yourself a note to tape a new bus pass to your helmet next month ... ok
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Pretty Shitty Equipment, Strother is making a move here
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

So there are some strong feelings towards PSE I take it... They are the only bows I have had the chance to shoot. 07 brute, 2010 bow madnesses and a 2012 stinger. I really like the way the Mathews heli m is talked up, plus I really have a thing for the walnut grip. But am debating about what cam just makes the most sense, toss up between solo or binary, seems like too much can go wrong in a hybrid or a twin cam set up. Too much to think about...