Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: time to fire up the smoker

Re: time to fire up the smoker

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    They precooked at all or just spice and left to cure? What is the approx. time in the smoker? Do you guys think a Big Chief would work?
    no there not pre cooked ..and hell ya a big chief will work fine....just takes a long time ,,the thin flanks are done in about 12 hours and the thicker ones up to 18 hours ,,and thats in a big chief ...i only fill the chips pot 4 or 5 times ,make sure i dont over smok em ..

Jeff those look damn tasty, my wife loves ribs, gotta give it a whirl. Guys, post rub or marinade recipes.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

I'm thinking of fireing up the bradley this week. I was thinking pulled pork but after seeing this it's been awhile since I've done some ribs. hmm tough decisions...

12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory. A 7-8 lb pork butt usually takes me about 12-18 hours also @220 with 4 hours of hickory. A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke. Thats what I do in the fall/winter

A good method for ribs for some newbs that might be reading this is 3-2-1 method ( google it)
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

what i use is the walmart jerky cure ..works and tastes awsome they have a few different flavores ..hickory , pepper ,original..there all good ..youll find it in the hunting section buy were they sell the smokers ..cure for over 24 hours ,,they recomend 24hrs for jerky ,so ribs are alot thicker so longer is better ..i also sprinkle garlic and pepper over them ...and your right there ****ing delicous ....

Quote Originally Posted by r106 View Post
    I'm thinking of fireing up the bradley this week. I was thinking pulled pork but after seeing this it's been awhile since I've done some ribs. hmm tough decisions...

12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory. A 7-8 lb pork butt usually takes me about 12-18 hours also @220 with 4 hours of hickory. A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke. Thats what I do in the fall/winter

A good method for ribs for some newbs that might be reading this is 3-2-1 method ( google it)

i think im lucky to get to 150 in my little chief ,,,one time i tried doing it faster by smoking them in the chief for 2 or 3 hours then putting them in the oven ,,they werent the same ,,i found if you just be patient and wait the 14 to 18 hours they taste alot better ,,instead of cooking them your truelly curing them ...a few months back i had a couple racks that took over 24hrs

...12 hours for ribs is a long time I usually do mine fore about 6-7 hours @220 with 2.5-3 hours of hickory.......A good way of cheating if your smoker can't keep temp is to finish in a crock pot or oven after the first few hours of smoke...
    Thats the problem with a Big Chief, keeping a consistant temperature. Say 2-3 hours in the smoker then how many in the oven?

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Thats the problem with a Big Chief, keeping a consistant temperature. Say 2-3 hours in the smoker then how many in the oven?
    each there own ,but i did that a few times ,,there not the same ..just do it in the chief and be patient ,,end result is much better .. one thing u dont wanna do is cook them ,,,just cure and smoke ,,it takes that long to cure in the smoker cuz the bone and the thickness..trust me there much ,much better if you just take your time...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
    each there own ,but i did that a few times ,,there not the same ..just do it in the chief and be patient ,,end result is much better .. one thing u dont wanna do is cook them ,,,just cure and smoke ,,it takes that long to cure in the smoker cuz the bone and the thickness..trust me there much ,much better if you just take your time...

Your right we are talking 2 completly different methods. I've never tried them the way your doing it. I definitely won't knock it until I try it. By the sound of it they would be super tender

Do you deliver? LOL
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Your right we are talking 2 completly different methods. I've never tried them the way your doing it. I definitely won't knock it until I try it. By the sound of it they would be super tender

Do you deliver? LOL
    accually there not tender at all ..there really chewy ,,kinda just like jerky .. acually alot like jerky ...you get a hell of a jaw workout when u eat 5 or 6 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
    Time to dust off the Big Chief and hit Walmart, damn I'm hungry now!