Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross Dominant New Archer

Re: Cross Dominant New Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Have you ever tried to sell a used left handed bow or firearm? Can't be done. All of my old bows are junk now instead of someone else being able to use them.
    Just my experience.
    Yes I have ... sold both leftys that I have had in my barn in under an hour ... for full asking price .... simply because they are relitivly hard to come by ....

If you are left eye dominant ... you will not do better shooting right handed equipment . your scores might suffer at first because it is not what you are "used to" (right handed stuff) but when you train your muscles properly ... your scores will be higher than ever before
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

There you go. Look into how much eye dominance makes a difference. Google it. Ask the pros. I seriously do not believe in it. One plus I've had is that I may have a little trouble shooting bows with either hand, but there are a few deer I've bagged because I am able to shoot a rifle both ways. Oh, with the internet, you may be able to get rid of left handed bows , but living in a small community, I had no luck. I still challenge anyone to be able to comprehensively try out left handed bows. It takes many tries to find the right one. It's like trying to find the perfect hunting boots.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

As I stated in my post she is right eye dominante, so what I am gathering from the comments of most is that it would be better to get her in to equipment that is of her dominate eye (right) and let her body adapt to the right hand equipment. This will also be good as we will not have to look into left hand gear. Thanks everyone for your quick responses and insight into this matter. Now I need to get her out to a shop to see what bow, draw lenght etc. fits her best! Take Care and Thanks Again!

yes
    what you said ^^^^^^^^^^
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Depending on whom you talk to you will get a variety of answers.

The general thinking is it's best to set up your bow for your dominate eye however in the practical world of tradtitional archery my experience is most archers ignore this for a variety of reasons. Many top shooters are for example left eye dominate and shoot right handed. If setting up with good form and practice your brain makes the adjustments, with both eyes open.

I copied this from elsewhere but I thought there are some (not all of it) applicable points. "The trouble with people going by eye dominance is that having the arrow under your dominant eye is only a fraction of the whole picture. Someone shooting non-dominant has the front end of the arrow more in line with their dominant eye. The whole system is a converging triangle. A non dominant shooter could just as easily be lining up with his bow arm functioning exactly the way the arrow does for a dominant shooter. Both converge on the arrow point."