Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Dominant New Archer

Cross Dominant New Archer

Hi everyone, just have a question on cross dominance in archery. My wife wants to get into archery and we are looking to set her up with a bow. She is left handed so I thought we would be picking up a left hand bow for her but when we checked her eye dominance we found she is right eye dominant. Should she get a left hand bow as it feels more natural for her and she is way stronger with her left arm, or do we try and train her body to shoot a right handed bow? I have talked to a few guys that have been shooting bows a lot longer than me and have gotten different answers from them on which option to go with. Any help from the members out there with experiance in this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Cross Dominant New Archer

A possible solution would be for her to wear an eye patch - or even get used to closing the left eye - when shooting. That way the dominant eye won't "take over" the aim.

Of course she could also just learn to shoot using her dominant eye and teach her body to hold/shoot the bow that way.

It's a matter of ease for her - ease of learning, ease of shooting, ease of repeatability, and what is more comfortable for her. Nobody can really answer the question for you (or for her) as it is an entirely personal choice.

Depends if your shooting traditional or compound. If traditional both eyes open and she should change to accommodate her eye dominance. If your shooting compound. Your using sites. Just squint a bit with the one eye.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed, and just close my left eye as I'm drawing the bow back. Works for me.
    Twist and pull.

I shoot a right hand bow but am left eye dominant. I used to be right eye dominant. I close my left eye. Same with shooting the shotgun.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

get equipment of her dominant eye .... her score will be better and she will enjoy it more .... if she is right eye dominant ... get right handed equipment
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thanks everyone that has replied so far for your advise, I should have mentioned in my OP that we are looking at a compound bow.

I am right handed and always shot right handed, even my first bow. At the time, a "more Knowledgeable" person noticed that I was left eye dominant and convinced me to switch. It was a real chore as it was more natural for me to shoot both firearms and bows right handed. I learned to shoot quite well left handed and have done so for over 30 years. I regret it. I am positive that I would be a better shot right handed and I really do not believe that you need to keep both eyes open. In fact I find that I close my right eye now most of the time.
    Tell her to keep shooting right handed and close her left eye. Have you ever tried to sell a used left handed bow or firearm? Can't be done. All of my old bows are junk now instead of someone else being able to use them.
    Just my experience.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Oh, and the kicker - just try find an archery shop with a good selection of left-handed bows to try. She'd have to order one and pray.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Hey 260 , I started Trap shooting and then Archery with "cross dominance" and got prescription glasses . They evened things out plus added to my vision .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC