Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best socks are...........

Re: And the best socks are...........

Used to wear Thorlo's, now only Darn Tough.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Was reading that the Thorlo's were on the thicker side, even the so called light weight ones. Do you have to have a boot 1/2 size larger to allow for the sock loft?

Was reading that the Thorlo's were on the thicker side, even the so called light weight ones. Do you have to have a boot 1/2 size larger to allow for the sock loft?
    Yes they are very thick. I went up 1/2 a boot size with my last pair of Hanwags, it all depends on how much room you've got to begin with.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Last summer before my Moose hunt I went looking for good socks as I was going to be putting quite a few KM on foot. I was a bit surprised by the $$ on "good" hiking/hunting socks. While at a cheap gear outfitter in Van. I saw a 3 pack of socks that were 70% Merino Wool, 20% Nylon, 7% Poly and 2% Lycra, for $15. They "looked" just like the $28/pr so I bought them and they turned out to be great. Also while at Costco last fall I saw a 4 pack of the same socks so I bought them too. So far I have been quite happy and didn't shell out huge dough. I honestly did expect the socks to suck so I did pack 2 pair of older of expensive socks on the moose hunt just in case but I was pleasantly surprised with the cheapies. Lets face it even the most expensive clothing costs pennies to make so it shouldn't be a surprise to find good stuff cheap. Clothes aren't optics.

My son, Dave, told me about the merino wool and I gave them a shot a couple of years ago. Wouldn't be without them now. Awsome socks.
    Just a tip though, if you do a lot of hiking, it's a good idea to carry a bit of duct tape in your daypack. If you feel a blister coming tear of a little piece of duct tap and cover the part of you foot that's feeling like it's blistering. That will take care of thinks until you're finished for the day. Works like a damn as it cuts all the friction between your foot and whatever is causing the blister.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Ice breaker light for spring and summer, and DARN tough for winter. better then Thorolos IMO

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

The Hunters foot. Grouse rivers got them. Best socks ever.

Got a pair of Filson socks that are bullet proof, though they are a touch bulky for hiking boots, unless sized in accordance.

I like Merino Wool socks and wear the Smart Wool or Tekko socks. Merino Tec made a good light weight sock but I can't find those ones anymore. I'll try some of the others mentioned though.

I got four pair of REI store brand Merino wool hikers and so far they have been good. Blend of wool and lycra with good fit / stretch in the arch. Heel and toe appear well reinforced - we will see how they wear over time. 10% off when buying three or more.