Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to make a bow, can you help?

I want to make a bow, can you help?

I've got access to some yew wood (and other kinds) just let me know what diameter. I realize I could just buy a long bow or a self bow but I think it would be cool to make a bow. I also realize it is a time consuming procedure. However, If your in the LML and willing, I'd trade you yew wood and a case of your preferred brew for you to share your skills (and possibly tools, could buy my own if you can point me in the right direction)
    Id also like to learn how to make arrows and could get birch or cedar.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I want to make a bow, can you help?

I'm also starting out and would love to get a yew stave off of you

Start by getting "Primative Archer" and "Primative Bowhunter" magazines - they also have websites. These magazines will give you some great ideas. For tools, Look at some of the spoke shaves, scrapers, carving knives and rasps at Lee Valley.

Check the library for a book called "The Bowyers Bible.". It's supposed to be the best. Good luck with your project!
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

All what he said ..... there is a lee Valley tools on Marine???? I see it whenever I drive to Burnaby from the airport .. its not far from the sea island anyway ....
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thank you kindly for the advice, when I cut the trees I will let you know.
    I know the lee valley your thinking of bowzone thanks

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Forget the yew wood for now . As you are a beginner you are much better off to go to the lumberyard and buy a red oak board with straight grain , the wood will be dry and uniform so you can start working on it right away . http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/top...n#.T6AveqyF-IA

Monashee makes a good point . So called Plank bows are fairly easy to work with and a lot to be learned ,Oak , Elm and I believe Hickory being preferred . Only draw back with these woods and Yew is String Follow which can be averted .
    Good luck with your archery adventure ...
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Get yer butt to the Traditional Bowhunters of BC Rendezvous in Rock Creek May long weekend. You want to build a bow? No faster way than experiencing a traditional shoot and experiencing much of the camaraderie of a rendezvous. Meet people, ask questions.

To far hahahaha

go buy yourself the bowyers bible 1,2,and 3 . a good draw knife, auto body bondo file and a scraper. VERY CAREFULLY select a straight piece with not many knots of yew wood from about 300 meters elavation. If you read and follow the books you can have a good shooting bow in 2 months. I have just finished a 55#er that i cut the tree in the end of jan.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    Forget the yew wood for now . As you are a beginner you are much better off to go to the lumberyard and buy a red oak board with straight grain , the wood will be dry and uniform so you can start working on it right away . http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/top...n#.T6AveqyF-IA

Thats what I'm doing right now. I've also read that yew is difficult to use for a first attempt, so for now I'm doing an oak mock-up.

This will also give your good yew a chance to season up.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell