Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to make a bow, can you help?

Re: I want to make a bow, can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by hardnocks View Post
    go buy yourself the bowyers bible 1,2,and 3 . a good draw knife, auto body bondo file and a scraper. VERY CAREFULLY select a straight piece with not many knots of yew wood from about 300 meters elavation. If you read and follow the books you can have a good shooting bow in 2 months. I have just finished a 55#er that i cut the tree in the end of jan.
    Wow. that's GREAT turn-over time!
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Re: I want to make a bow, can you help?

I've built several successful ,laminated maple, semi recurve long bows. Rather than cling stubbornly to either traditional or modern, I prefer to take the best of both worlds. The bowyers at NW archery in Seattle told me that laminating any fibreglass on a wooden bow drastically reduces the breakage rate.
    The last time, I laid up my own fibreglass facing and backing with a little bit of pressure, to reduce the resin to glass ratio.