Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits around P.G.

Re: Rabbits around P.G.

is there a certain time of winter when rabbit hunting is better?

or, anytime in the winter?

i find when its really cold and lots of snow

went out 2 weekends ago, not bad but a little slow, only saw 7 between 3 of us.

u guys take any home?

I take them to the mother in law, she mixes rabbit beef and pork and makes meat pies, mmmm mmmm good

I find it's best right after a big snowfall. Ryan you should try some Hassenpheffer , just a fancy name for stew really good.

well, since asking about rabbit hunting around pg, i managed to break my leg (about 3 weeks ago), so am stuck at home, browsing the internet, rather than out shooting bunnies.

any of you guys have any luck this winter? i need to see some pics of some snow shoe hares to keep my insanity!

Well, Northern Ontario is teeming with white snowshoes this year and since there is no snow, I have stopped hunting them for a while, because I made myself sick of it. White blobs of fluff against a dark background is much less like hunting, and more like killing. At the close of Whitetail Deer season, we shot 14 on the last day, mostly with a .32 auxiliary cartridge in my Mini-30 Stainless. I shot 5 big hares in one brief walk; where my 5-year-old son had to help with the load. He wouldn't touch the Snowshoes, but was happy to carry my unloaded rifle. We hadn't shot any Deer, so I had my butcher make "Mock Deer" pepperettes. 2 parts Rabbit, 1 parts Moose, 1 parts Duck and 2 parts pork. They are pretty good and less greasy than the usual 50/50 pork and Venison. This way, the whole party gets to remember that we got skunked last year, well past Christmas, when all your house guests ask why there's no Deer in the pepperettes.-Matti

When you say "rabbits" are you referring to snowshoe hares?

Yes, we refer to Snowshoe Hares loosely as Rabbits in Northern Ont. as they are the only Rabbit family member we have. We are too far north for Cottontail or European Hare(Jack Rabbits). The Ministry of Natural resources refers to them as Varying Hare, on account of their changing coats, and there is no limit on Varying Hare in Ontario. You may have as many in posession as you like I guess.-Matti