Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead tuning

Broadhead tuning

Hey guys, I just bought some Montecs and took them to the range. With field points my arrows were grouping great all the way out to 70 yards, as soon as I put the broadheads on Im now hitting high and left. At 30 yards Im about 6" high and 6" left, at 50 yards Im about 8" high and 8" left. Is this most likely a paper tuning issue? Is my rest not sitting perfectly center? I cant make sense of it. All the broadheads were grouping reasonably well just way off target. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated as always.

Mike

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broadhead tuning

what does the paper say when you shoot through it ?

I suspect your rest is a c-hair high and not quiet center shot ... or nock point is c- hair low
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    what does the paper say when you shoot through it ?

I suspect your rest is a c-hair high and not quiet center shot ... or nock point is c- hair low
    Ive actually never fired it through paper. I will next time I can get out there though. I couldn't believe how far out it was when my field points were shooting so well. I actually went back as far as 100 yards with the field points and it was hitting pretty close to center.

Move your rest 1/16" to the right. That should put you closer. Move it 1/16" at a time untill broadheads hit the same as your fieldpoints in a vertical line.

Move your rest down 1/16". Or move your nock point up. Keep doing that untill the broadheads hit the same horizontal line as your fieldpoints.

This is where a micro adjust rest really makes life easier.

You will have to adjust your sights a little.

Make very small adjustments and cure one problem at a time.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Never be afraid to shoot it through paper. The other night I did just to make sure its shooting bullet holes. I knew the pins are dead on just like to reasure myself occasionally.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Thanks for the tips, I will try out the above suggestions and hopefully come back with a finely tuned bow.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    Move your rest 1/16" to the right. That should put you closer. Move it 1/16" at a time untill broadheads hit the same as your fieldpoints in a vertical line.

Move your rest down 1/16". Or move your nock point up. Keep doing that untill the broadheads hit the same horizontal line as your fieldpoints.

This is where a micro adjust rest really makes life easier.

You will have to adjust your sights a little.

Make very small adjustments and cure one problem at a time.
    thats what I said .... c-hair
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

What c-hairs have you seen that are that thick?

Scary PG women......

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Just get yourself a good old expandable broadhead and you dont even have to worry about it at all. Plus you will have a 1.5" cut instead of an 1" cut.

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    What c-hairs have you seen that are that thick?

Scary PG women......

Made the mistake and went to Alibies the other night ....
    A true Archery Nut