Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Head shots

Head shots

Is there any preferred methods for head shots on game - like how to anticipate their movements to give you an edge for killing? What distances do you like to hold shots to - 40 yards or closer? Brain shot? Jugular shots?

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Head shots

well not one of those is a kill shot ...this question isnt serious is it ...bow hunters aiming for the head ......and people have questioned my ethics before

I think you want to aim for the eye, once you hit it, they can no longer see you, which makes that tough second bow shot much, much easier.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
    well not one of those is a kill shot ...this question isnt serious is it ...bow hunters aiming for the head ......and people have questioned my ethics before
    It's ok Jeff he's shooting a "MAGNUM" and although that big dirty racker looks real it's not !
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 04-25-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

If you are aiming for the head with a bow, I would not want to be anywhere closer than 60 yards. If you are, people start questioning your manliness.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

i keep picturing that deer running around in nanaimo last year with the arrow thu its muzzle. there where pics in the local paper. We don't need that sort of thing

Last edited by Jeff88; 04-25-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Middle to upper, lower fraser valley mountain

Man that would make it tough to chew.

Bart I would only go for it if your 100 or so yards away. That way you have time for a second shot while the animal is running towards you. Dont be to worried if the animal decides to run the other way as Ive heard they run in circles......
    "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

I'm a vegetarian. I eat things that eat vegetables..........

Jeff...that's just cruel to even show that... Poor Bambi.... Head shots... Right... I agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
    Jeff...that's just cruel to even show that... Poor Bambi.... Head shots... Right... I agree with you...
    well just maybe it will keep one of the younger bow hunters from trying the head shot ,,i hate looking at that pic too ..but if a newbie bow hunter sees it ,maybe it will deter him or her from trying such a stupid shot