Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs will eat the darndest things

Re: Dogs will eat the darndest things

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I gotta know who your vet is, all that for $1100. My vet charges $65 to put a stethoscope on my labs chest and a thermometer up his bum, I'm afraid if you had taken your dog to my vet you'd be checking out second mortgage rates!
    You might want to check the date of the original post, things have gone up a wee bit since 2004.

my neighbor told me a story of how his dog ate his sweatsocks. needed surgery for that too.

There was This Old Indian that lived in Quesnel (a lake bears his families surname). Come late fall, he would try to get some jail time to tide the winter over. The RCMP were housed in the Post Office building on Reid Street with lots of people. TOI would pick the middle of the day in front of said building and start hollering and caterwauling like a banshee to attract attention. The moment a cop's face appeared in the window, TOI would hammer a boulder through the windshield and stand there until someone come out and arrested him, of course he didn't have long to wait. And off to PG Correctional he would go.
    The RCMP moved into the current building away from the limelight of Reid Street and also parked the cruisers behind closed doors so TOI could no longer continue the practice.
    One winter night, the grader operator was plowing snow on 2-Mile Flat when he observed some dogs chowing down on something. He stopped and the dogs vamoosed. He gets out and go to see what the mutts were eating, thinking maybe a deer. Nope! You guessed it, he discovered TOI slightly dug out of the bank but at first didn't recognize him. Yeah, the dogs were feasting on TOI. Yeah, dogs will eat anything.
    Sad demise to TOI who was legendary.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well I learned a lesson today. Don't feed dogs corn on the cob. About 3 weeks ago on our camping trip I had two pieces of corn on the cob left over from supper so I figured I'd give the dogs a little treat. That night both dogs got sick and out came the corn on the cob or at least I though it had all came out. Penny had a piece removed from her stomach yesterday morning the size of a golf ball that just didn't want to pass through. It did a bit of damage to part of her intestine blocking some of the blood supply off to the tissue. The vet said he's seen worst then that in other dogs and that Penny should recovered fine. Penny has a check up appointment next week.

So the price for this lesson learned was 3 sets of x-rays, two enemas (for the dog) ,4 IV's, one stomach operation, antibiotics, and 5 nights at the vet for the low cost of $1100.00. There goes my new rifle for next fall.

Penny is now home with me looking for belly rubs as I'm typing. She looks like she's going to be ok but It just goes to show how something so innocent can be so harmful to a dog.

Please learn from this guys. I wont be feeding anything to my dogs except dog food for now on.

Marc.
    Friends of mine just spent $1200 for same thing. Funny thing is I always give my dogs the left over corn and they strip the corn off of the cobs or, if the corn is real tender, they chew the whole cob up. My last two dogs (15 year's worth) and no issues.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Get pet insurance. best $30 a month you will ever spend IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Get pet insurance. best $30 a month you will ever spend IMO
    Yup, saved us well over $10,000 this past year.
    We would've went through with the Vet work regardless as we can afford it but for many it means they don't have to do the "we can't afford the Vet bill so we have to put her down" dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    You might want to check the date of the original post, things have gone up a wee bit since 2004.
    You ain't kidding

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...in-a-big-hurry
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've had a couple labs in my life time, both great dogs but would try to eat anything. Other than that they were great dogs.

Lab mentality, eat first, ask questions latter.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

My two year old lab was throwing up, so off to the Vet for x rays. Had to operate and remove an obstruction for her small intestine. Turned out to be a corn cop. Vet tried to hydrate her hoping it would pass but it was lodged in there like it was glued. Got it out but if I find the people who throw there garbage out they will be going to the vet. Labs will eat anything.