Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs will eat the darndest things

Dogs will eat the darndest things

As I write this post my yellow female lab is at the vet because she ate something she shouldn’t had. I got up on Saturday morning to face 6 piles of dog vomit in my den with traces of blood in it. It hasn’t been the first time she has gotten sick but this time it was different. She wasn’t keeping anything down. After eating and not keeping it down for the weekend we decided to take her to the vet. She’s been there since Monday and finally had her first bowel movement since Friday night. We are hoping that she is able to pass what ever she put down that bottomless pit. My wife has seen the x-rays and we don’t know what it is or how she got it. We are thinking one of the neighbor’s kids must have thrown a chicken bone or something over the fence to her. I’m sure I’m in for at least $700.00 so far and she’s not in the clear yet. She’ll be getting another enema tonight to see if they can get things moving in the right direction. I know it’s only a dog but after having her for 5 ½ years they become part of the family. My wife was in tears when she brought her to the vet. I told her I was ok with whatever she decided was best

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

i know a guy who had a dog that ate anything twice the dog got into stuff it should have...not sure what but i know they had to operate twice to get the stuff out....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

l feel for your predicament Mark. Although vets are professionals, their charge out rate are ridiculous. And with owners emotions on the line and wallets open, they aren't afraid to stick it to us.
    I hope your dog gets over its problem, and you don't get gouged to bad.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Well penny came home for a short visit and ended going back into the vet. She's still not able to hold any food down because of an obstruction in her stomach so now they are going to operate tomorrow morning to remove what ever she swallowed. She should be comming back home on Saturday morning if all goes well.

I was amazed when the wife told me the vet bill was only $300 dollarsso far after her being there 3 days, 3 sets of x-rays, two enemas and a couple of IV’s to boot. I'm very impressed with the care and compassion this veterinary clinic offers. Now when I see the bill for the operation that may be a different story but we'll se what happens. They’ve always given our pets great medical attention.

Marc.

BCWF

bone-collector Guest
    I am coming to your vet 8O , just to have a (not sure what it was called) but Grunt had basicaly water on the knee , all the vet did was drain it with a bigass needle (which resulted in me being drug over a dam table and through a dog door) and gave us some anti inflamitory pills or whatever they were called was $290 , tottal thing took 40 minutes , took me 2 weeks to heal after dumbass took off on us and I was stupid nuff to wrap my arm in his collar

Dogs are the dambdest thing. Got 7 grand invested into one. Shes just a mutt but God lover her. As for vet prices EEEK. Was practicing the old golf swing in the back yard, chipping the ball. Well the ol lab decides to go for the ball just at take off. BANG. Into the side of the mouth. Yeah, blood pouring out the gums. To the vet. Thinking maybe just head to the Red Lion (ballet) cause it will be alot cheaper. Get to the vets he throws a cotton ball in the dogs mouth. She spits it out and vet says, "shes good to go" 175 bones "for a cotton ball". Should have gone to the red lion and on the way home buy a bag of cotton balls. By the way how is the dog doing?

Well I learned a lesson today. Don't feed dogs corn on the cob. About 3 weeks ago on our camping trip I had two pieces of corn on the cob left over from supper so I figured I'd give the dogs a little treat. That night both dogs got sick and out came the corn on the cob or at least I though it had all came out. Penny had a piece removed from her stomach yesterday morning the size of a golf ball that just didn't want to pass through. It did a bit of damage to part of her intestine blocking some of the blood supply off to the tissue. The vet said he's seen worst then that in other dogs and that Penny should recovered fine. Penny has a check up appointment next week.

So the price for this lesson learned was 3 sets of x-rays, two enemas (for the dog) ,4 IV's, one stomach operation, antibiotics, and 5 nights at the vet for the low cost of $1100.00. There goes my new rifle for next fall.

Penny is now home with me looking for belly rubs as I'm typing. She looks like she's going to be ok but It just goes to show how something so innocent can be so harmful to a dog.

Please learn from this guys. I wont be feeding anything to my dogs except dog food for now on.

Marc.

BCWF

glad to hear ur dog is okay marc...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Re: Dogs will eat the darndest things

Pantyhose, what the hell..... at least I had something to hang on to....
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Re: Dogs will eat the darndest things

I gotta know who your vet is, all that for $1100. My vet charges $65 to put a stethoscope on my labs chest and a thermometer up his bum, I'm afraid if you had taken your dog to my vet you'd be checking out second mortgage rates!