Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: butchering a deer

Re: butchering a deer

Moosehunter 12- like some others have said, if you don't want sausages, you can bone out any cut you like.
    Grind it up for burger, or cut it up for stew meat.
    First time we attempted it we tried to follow a book.
    Now if we get a cut of meat that doesn't match the diagrams, we give it a fancy name and everyone is happy.

I cut my own deer up as well, i agree with most of the others here it is part of the whole experience.My cuts don't always match the pictures in the books put they taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by moosehunter12
    What do you do with your deer if you don't make sausage?
    Steaks, roasts, stir fry, stew, jerky, peperoni sticks, etc... We do all that (and sometimes more) at my house. Lots of personal satisfaction in doing it myself. Also, saves lots of money too - given how much my wife and I both hunt.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Cut my own for years now. Now I just got to get me something to CUT!!
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

Me and a buddy of mine want to start cutting up our deer next year. We don't have a cooler to hang it in so we would just hang it in the garage. How could we keep it cool. Also we our looking into getting a meat grinder and a sausage maker.. any ideas on what to get.

We will only take into the butcher if we have to. If we are hunting in hot weather and can not hang the animal, the butcher is a nice alternative. I have heard of guys paying to hang in the meat locker, but if they are charging you $10/day to hang it, you may as well get it cut up for the difference in cost. This year we threw a small deepfreeze in the back of the truck and cut our moose up while we were up in Ft St James. Nice to come home and have most of the work done.
    I recommend getting a DVD on cutting big game, it was really nice to know ahead of time which cuts are steak and which are stew.

Also we our looking into getting a meat grinder and a sausage maker.. any ideas on what to get
    canadian tire has one that i might get there like 140$ not to bad.

Butchering supplies

www.stuffers.com

I got one of the little $39 grinder's with saussage stuffing attachments. Not entirely satisfied - it's pretty cheap stuff, and I've had to fiddle with it a few times to keep it operational. Though that said, for $39, it's ground two elk and 4 or 5 deer for me. It's just a very low end unit that doesn't even have a brand name - just says "CHINA" on the side of it. Does work though.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I like to cut my own up. As for cuts though....if it can lay flat on the BBQ its called a steak. Anything else gets ground or goes into stirfry.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.