Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eh! know where to get these shells?

Re: Eh! know where to get these shells?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    look, I was just trying to suggest a couple other options to using a .410
    he is going to use a .410 for ducks, my self if they were so close i thought i might need a .410 i minght try a Improved cyl.

What do you think is a better option? Or do you think it a good idea to use a .410 on Ducks?
    I wouldnt hunt ducks with a 410. Only a 16/20 or maybe a 28ga.

That was taken from my last post. All I'm saying is its his choice, good or bad. There's a few gentlemens clubs in the states where they have .410 only timber holes. They figure it's more sporting haha.

The other alternative is to cut the barrel down haha. Cut em all.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Then why doesnt my arguement make sense. It is his Legal choice yes, you are correct. I was trying to suggest, in my eyes a better one

My only disagreement with your post was the not to shot them in your face. To me, thats like saying why shoot the deer at 40 yards, shoot it at 300 instead. Both can be done but one shot will be harder then the other is all.

Shoot a cylinder or skeet and get a real pattern at 15-20 feet.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Why are you guys wasting your time arguing with a kid who doesn't know his ass from page 8 ????? Cheers---Field Marshal.

I have killed plenty of ducks with #6 steel shot, from mallards to teal, wigeon in particular. Why would this be any different? Sure there a lot less pellets but that doesn't mean that the killing power is any different and from a close range it shouldn't be a problem.
    The question has been answered, your opinions and precautions will soon be answered next November. No need to be so butthurt over it. And yes, the rare time that we don't retrieve a duck, we always count it in the limit

Using a 410 for waterfowl is dumb and unethical IMO. And this coming from someone who will swat a duck at 5 yards sitting on the ground or water. So that means alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I may not say much on here but am on here most days . But as far as a .410 for duck hunting goes I do not agree. As far as buying shells and taking them across the boarder I hope you hunting ethics are better........... I dont hunt like that or live my life like that and think most people on here would agree. YOU give the rest of us a name that we are trying to distance from...
    Last edited by fudge; 04-18-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Using a 410 for waterfowl is dumb and unethical IMO. And this coming from someone who will swat a duck at 5 yards sitting on the ground or water. So that means alot.
    -I love how you didn't point anything negative about using the .410 in your first post, yet you actually agreed that it was okay to bring ammo across the border was fine. Not trying to pick on anybody here, just outlining hypocrisy in your argument. I have to redirect some of this barrage of negative opinions. I believe on a post before I have said that I find it okay to shoot ducks on the water and that I have, but I also believe that everybody else has. I don't prefer it but sometimes you go and sneak on some ducks in a ditch or just need one in the bag and shoot one on the water. My favourite is when they are setting their wings, just before they are back-pedalling. BTW I didn't buy the ammo in the states and never will, I have found the same or better deals here in Canada once I did a little digging. I never have exported any illegal non-exportable products out of the US and never will

I honestly don't understand why all you guys care what I do, sure you have a right, it's a public forum and I can't do anything about it, but if you really wanted to find out my ideas pm me or actually ask of my intentions, as some of you have, to whom I have given prompt informative replies. I asked a question on where to purchase said ammunition, got a lead and ended up doing so. I have every right to go kill ducks with a shotgun with steel shot, and I plan on doing so. Everybody has lost a fair amount of game in their lifetime, and I know its not fun: A) because you don't actually get your animal B) waste of shells and time C) The guilt that comes with doing so. But you should never bash something that you have never tried, or experienced. Yes using a gauge will be more "ethical" as it would be easier, but "ethics" is a personally viewed and judged word. I understand that it would be scientifically harder to hit and kill a duck with a .410 over a 12 and it would be seriously diminished in all aspects (range, pellets, powder, chokes...) But to say that a .410 will not kill a duck... or anything for that matter from a close range would be absurd. After all, you can kill a deer with a .243 and with a .300 Win Mag. But its in the hands of the operator that make it more deadly and equal. Precision over force everytime. If you know the extent of your weapon, then there should not be a problem. And if it doesn't end up working and I end up losing ducks over it (not misses but cripples) then of course I will have learned that it isn't meant to be. But I think there are too many people out there that end up talking smack like they know everything on something they haven't tried or experienced. If you have then be my guest but there are too many people that say "IMO I don't think its ethical..." Keep your mouths shut until the Wigeon return then we can have a post on I told you sos. Till then lets just wait.

Why would I give hunters a bad name? People that hunt deer in their backyards and let them run about in the streets and end up dying in somebody's yard across town gives hunters a bad name. People that hunt before legal hours and pit-lamping give hunters a bad name, not using legal methods in which are within the limitations of MY knowledge of what MY .410 can and can't do. If anybody gives duck hunters a bad name, in my opinion (yes i know.. IMO! oh the hypocrisy!) it would be "skybusters" with their 3 1/2" shells that feel invincible and end having some ducks sail down wounded 2 miles away in a random field. 3 1/2" shells are cool don't get me wrong, but there are some people that don't know their limitations and that ends up happening. Now if you can find me a video in which some people are shooting ducks from close range 5-15 yards with a .410 that they end up shooting cripples in please be my guest.

We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain.
    -Tom Stoppard

States are like people. They do not question the status quo until some dramatic event overturns the conventional and lax way of thinking.
    -Victor Davis Hanson
    Last edited by fowlweather; 04-19-2012 at 12:24 AM.

OK BUDDY...This is why I dont say much on here. Its guys like you that tick me off all lip service, you think you are gods gift to hunters and never miss. Why not incress your odds and lower the chances that you dont run in to the issues that you post your self. Good luck to you and your .410
    Last edited by fudge; 04-19-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks I will have fun with it. no I am not the "gods gift to hunters" and one of the lesser knowledge on the world of hunting but scientifically it makes sense, you can kill a duck with a .410, the odds are a lot higher especially at closer ranges though. Everybody misses of course, I never said I didn't miss either. If you don't agree with it then go change the law or watch me fail. No need for hate. I could become hostile and outline the obvious grammatical errors in your post and outline how it doesn't make sense but I won't because that's not who I am. It's a public forum and there are people on here that you wont agree with and that wont agree with you. But that's just life, people are different and subject to change. Open your mind to different ideologies and you might be surprised at what you can learn.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BQMMcQBrQ