Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New BC resident....getting the Blacktail itch!!!

New BC resident....getting the Blacktail itch!!!

Hey Guys,

Well, I'm starting to settle into life in BC. So far I'm loving it, and looking forward to the opportunity to start exploring different options that BC has to hunt, fish, camp, etc. There are a LOT of things on my list and a ton of places I cant wait to go and explore.

One thing that never really got me very excited while living in Alberta is hunting blacktails. I've gotta say that in the past couple days though, I've been hit with a bug and its got me thinking how cool it would be to shoot a nice blacktail one day!!!

So, what can you guys tell me about them. Mainland vs island hunting? Looks like Columbia blacktails on the coast and VI and then Sitka blacktails up in the QCI? Are they tougher to hunt than other species of deer for a nice representative buck?

If anyone has any tips or suggestions or just plain comments on hunting these critters, I'd love to hear it. I'd be glad to help anyone out if you were travelling my way or ever needed info on Alberta stuff or could somehow return the favor. Bottom line though, I've gotta scratch this itch and get myself on a blacktail hunt in the next year or two!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New BC resident....getting the Blacktail itch!!!

I can only tell you about the Charlottes since that's the only place I've hunted them but it is a lot of fun to hunt over there, you will get bigger deer on Vancouver Island or the lower mainland but if you get away from main roads nice sized bucks can be taken. Haven't been there since 2008 and need to get back this year badly. You won't be dissapointed if you head over I can tell you that much
    Happily married man Feb 12, 2011 .

Buddy your in luck=when we go for coffee i'll give ya a killer spot on big island blacktails ! I hunted them all over the island and have the honey hole of honey holes!
    maybe the grand po pa's genetics are still floating around in there! Ive show a coulple of guys on here the spot but it takes some hiking effort. maybe i'll take ya in there one day =that would bring back some great memories. lbiggest buck population iv'e ever seen on the island lots of wolves -cougars-some elk passing through. one morning i watched 11 blacktail bucks funnel up to the timber up the pinch point -the same deer path that grand poo pa came walking up ....what a wooper! know i'm getting excited lol

This is a good thread to keep you occupied until the season LOL !
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ss+black+tails

Steep, thick, and wet is how to find a black tail.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

guest Guest

Search PG66 (proguide 66) threads on BT hunting also Youtube has a bunch, great footage and advice. Good luck finding any one better on the subject of hunting Big BT's in BC.

He knows what he's doing thats for sure.

Welcome to BC and good luck to you.

CT

the monster blacktails are in the lower main land around the farms =some monsters 130 class are being shot and seen -ive seen pics that d dog showed me of some pigs ! but they aren't true blacktails, like the island.

Ya I sure have read a lot of proguide's stuff and man he's done some awesome hunts. Lots of very good resources on here for sure.

Cant wait to chat with ya grizzlydueck. I'll call ya tomorrow when I get off work. And yep, my ph # is still the same for another week or two most likely.

easy to hunt. Just a stroll through the bush should land you a booner within the first hour of the hunt.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    easy to hunt. Just a stroll through the bush should land you a booner within the first hour of the hunt.
    Haha ya so I hear! Maybe I need to just follow you around next year for a hunt!!