Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Planning a September elk hunt!!!

snipes13 Guest

Re: Planning a September elk hunt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckynuts View Post
    Hey Snipes, Not sure if this has been mentioned or not only got to page 4. Though in my opinion the 4th week in Sept is too late. I ain't much of an elk hunter but have called in a dozen or so bulls. I have found Sept 1st bulls respond well to a bugle and aggressive bush thrashings. Up here in the peace the 2nd and early part of the 3rd week is a good time to call in the satellite bulls and the occasional herd bull. Again every area is different and weather can play a big part. I find the colder the weather the better, large tracts of older aspen/poplar forests with some dark timber mixed in are good places to look up here in the Peace. Im sure there is a lot of good info in this thread from the many Die Hard elk hunters on this site don't forget to look at the new regs many new oppurtunities for elk in the province now.

Best of Luck,

W.
    Ya thats what ive heard. We are going the end of the 2nd week into the 3rd now.
    Thanks

I just phoned an experienced Cranbrook hunter and asked about some good spots and when the elk start bugling around there.
    He was looking out his window when he was talking to me.
    Baker Mtn powerline, The Albert river, Blackfoot, Bear creek and Goat creek.
    Elk are grazers so he said watch rock slide areas for elk. Grizz too.
    He said September up to October but the first week in September the bulls are screaming to mid September.
    He said, you don't need to be a great caller in the first two weeks of September these bulls are hotter than a fire cracker then. Go in early morning in the dark, walk in on a road closure and one go higher up and one down the road. At light watch look and listen, do some calling to locate a bull,
    Jel .. From a Cranbrook hunter .. He said there's elk and deer every where around Cranbrook.
    He said if you drive up into the hills and park by a road in early September and start calling you will get an answer back lot's of the time. Then look hard and do the creep.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Good thread... some good interweb drama.... I'm syched for some elk hunting..... Anyway...we kept elk cool like this in late august up north, over a couple days and nights while we packed way too far.....no bugling, spot and stalk

Worked well, no blow flys ... 250 lbs deboned ....good times! Good luck to all this season!

"Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

One of the most honest things that was told to me was "Just when you think you know everything about elk hunting.........you're an idiot" Stick with the basics and you'll be fine; 1. keep the wind in your face 2. cool that meat ASAP, the gutless method works great, set medium sized pieces on a tarp to cool quicker.
    Have a great time up there, looking forward to hearing all about your hunt.

Best advise I can give you is,If you are hunting in a group split up in to singles until someone in the group locates elk then regroup as a team of two to four guys.Come up with some good game plans and have fun.

gee elkdom you sound like such a hero'cant believe you have the time for us low life types!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbullsh$tter View Post
    One of the most honest things that was told to me was "Just when you think you know everything about elk hunting.........you're an idiot" Stick with the basics and you'll be fine; 1. keep the wind in your face 2. cool that meat ASAP, the gutless method works great, set medium sized pieces on a tarp to cool quicker.
    Have a great time up there, looking forward to hearing all about your hunt.
    read this twice elkdumb

Talked to a few CO'S up north my advice was pick a hill in elk country they will be on it they like hills!? I listened and sure as sh*t it works elk like hills. If you have your area pinned down then get a decent set of optics and start checking those hills!!