Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yard sales and Hunting gear

Re: Yard sales and Hunting gear

I got an 8.6 foot camper at the dump for free. fridge,stove@furnace all worked,had a hole in the roof,easily fixed.Just after Xmas I found a 100 watt Yamaha bass guitar amp there,Iguess the people had too make room for the new toys?
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

My best buy was a soft top for my 72 landcruzer. With soft doors. $47 is all i had in my wallet. Got it for $47

I rarely purchase anything new and find it almost impossible to pass up a sale of any sort. Books are my big weakness. Garage sales, flea markets, second hand/thrift stores, auctions, etc. It's a bit like hunting as you never know what's around the next corner or over the next hill. My garage is a testament to my affliction. I'm famous for 'I think I have a use for this'. and my buddies know exactly who to come to when looking for something. It's a sickness ..... the wife says I need help.
    "It is better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand."
    Apache proverb

What I always seem to find are white gas appliances. I have picked up 3 2-burner stoves, 5 lanterns and 2 catalytic heaters. Most just needed minor parts (generators, pump diaphrams, glass) and a good cleaning! I think the most I paid for any of them was $5 for one of the stoves. Seems most people are scared of white gas stuff, but will use propane stuff (which is 10x more dangerous!) with dried out leaky o-rings, rotted out burners, etc...
    Oh well, better for me I guess!

My wife got me started with garage sales, and I can hardly pass one without stopping, unless I am on my way to hunting or fishing! However, there is one recent exception...
    On Saturday, my buddy and I were going to fish in a little local lake, and enjoy our daypasses from home anyways, we are 45 minutes from home and he realizes he forgot the stove for a hot lunch. Half joking he suggests we look for garage sales, without realizing we just passed one! After telling him to quit fooling around we pull a u-turn and visit this sale, hoping to find a cheap pot to sit in a fire. Well, check RAISE that cause we came away with a white gas Coleman for $5! Not bad for the first sale withing 100 yards of realizing we were stove-less! Now my wife accuses me of going out "fishing" when I want to go garage saleing without her... at least I don't have to justifiy the purchase until it is too late to return it!
    -Tarp Man

I got an 8 bye 10 wall tent for 2 bucks and 3hudson bay 4piont blankets for 10