Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goose/Duck Taste

Re: Goose/Duck Taste

Pretty much all I do is waterfowl hunting, as such there's lots of it to consume. As such, I've found many different ways to enjoy watefowl from jerky to pepperoni, to stir fries to fjita's and sandwiches. I haven't plucked a bird in over 10 years, way to much work for the return.

Over the years I have learned a few things.

1. THere are lots of duck hunters, but not lots of good duck cookers!
    2. Taste and preference are totally induvidual and comparing what I like to you is near impossible. I use to work with a newf who I swear would eat the ass out of a skunk.
    3. Never make any wild food the center of your meal unless YOU KNOW FOR SURE you and your guests like it first! The best way to intro new foods is as an appitizer, then if it flops, no issue!
    4. Rare is always better then well done, trust me! THis is how you can have duck tasting like beef!
    5. Fat is flavour, but make sure you like that flavour first! Wild duck and domestic only share the name, nothing else IMHO.
    6. If in doubt, my kitchen is always open

Very best,

Ian

Doe see DOE, a common complaint i hear about fowl is it's too greasy. the skin of ducks and geese contain a lot of oils to protect them against the cold etc.. i find when i steam the bird. it sweats out oils and some soil (dirt) that is trapped in the pours. after you steam it give it a quick rinse and roast it. (after the steaming i see dirt and oil and water from the steam in the pan.)

i have dined on many ducks with out steaming first. they taste a little better to me after steaming.

I usually just breast out the ducks i get. Not enough meat on he suckers to spend the time pickin and pluckin. Usually get a chunk of meat about the size of my fist from each side.....easily good enough fer me and the miss fer dinner. (That would be a mallard though) And what they say about migratory and locals is somewhat true. The birds back east where i sometimes hunt with a buddy who lives there are much tastier...I think it is diet as the birds here tend to be........gamier....fer lack of a better word. Another idea is get a butcher to make a salami fer you...most need about 20 lbs minimum. But the salami is great. I tend to make duck with alot of spices so it works good fer fajitas and stir fries. Hope this helps!!!

The only Geese I've shot were around the Viking, Alberta area.
    Three of us were from B.C. and newbies at goose hunts.
    We shot our limit of Snow's, got some Greys and I got a huge Canada.
    My cousin was the guide for the hunt; he totally wanted nothing to do with the Snows.
    He claimed they were "fishy". He told us to breast them and he would grind them into pepperoni.
    Bottom line to this story:
    I plucked the Canada, had it for xmas dinner.
    Breasted the Greys and Snows, cooked up the Snows in various ways. They weren't fishy at all. Matter of fact they were very tasty on the BBQ.
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is, cook them up as you see fit.
    Word of advice: if you've cooked a dosmetic goose or duck, they are very greasy, wild birds have bigger breasts, and a lot less grease.

Low and slow is the trick when it comes to cooking waterfowl. no more than slightly pink. Try in a slowcooker at first if not too sure. Place the meat, some stock(broth), a few assorted veggies and some spices. Your choice. Instead of the usual 8 hours on low, try 12 or 14 hours, then thicken stock to make a gravy. Even with legs and thighs, the meat will just fall off the bones. You really can`t go wrong with this method. Good luck.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I just may give it a try.