Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tick Repellent

Re: Tick Repellent

Just found my first tick of the season. Just got home from a hike and sat down when I felt it crawling on my waist under my belt. It was not attached but a real eye opener! Time to get serious about sealing the cuffs and checking before getting in the truck. Tough little guy, tried to squish it but no dice.

I was out for a hike yesterday. Actually was on the hunt for ticks, but never saw any on the grasses or bush. Didn't pick up any on my person. Dog is jet-black and he was bouncing into the scrub after mice and voles. Thought that if there was a tick magnet, he's be one. Gave him a very dilengent going over to see if he had any. None there either.
    I got the Rose Geranium Essential oil and mixed it with Almond Essential oil as the base. Didn't put any on just to see if we would pick up ticks.
    I can tell you that the Rose Geranium oil is not fragrant like Lilac or Lavender. Quite the opposite, slightly pungent. I can see why it should work. The Almond oil on the other hand is quite odourless.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

When on our farm, we used to put sulfur in our sheep's feed to ward off ticks. In the years before using sulfur we would see high numbers of ticks on the animals when shearing them. After using the sulfur we seldom found ticks. If going to this extreme, you should try very small amounts at first (google research will guide you) in case of allergic reactions. For humans, eating a lot of garlic is a better way to go as garlic contains a high percentage of sulfur which helps to repel most blood sucking insects including ticks, fleas, lice, and bedbugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I was out for a hike yesterday. Actually was on the hunt for ticks, but never saw any on the grasses or bush. Didn't pick up any on my person. Dog is jet-black and he was bouncing into the scrub after mice and voles. Thought that if there was a tick magnet, he's be one. Gave him a very dilengent going over to see if he had any. None there either.
    I got the Rose Geranium Essential oil and mixed it with Almond Essential oil as the base. Didn't put any on just to see if we would pick up ticks.
    I can tell you that the Rose Geranium oil is not fragrant like Lilac or Lavender. Quite the opposite, slightly pungent. I can see why it should work. The Almond oil on the other hand is quite odourless.
    I just can't see covering myself with something that may attract a hungry bear,lol. My buddy told me he wears light coveralls and tapes the cuffs up for boots and hands. Must get uncomfortable hiking in that get up but it stops them from getting inside. Think Ill go that route from now on instead of a repellant which may or may not work.

For humans, eating a lot of garlic is a better way to go as garlic contains a high percentage of sulfur which helps to repel most blood sucking insects including ticks, fleas, lice, and bedbugs.
    That may explain why me and the dog were tick free. Wife makes doggie treats with copius amounts of garlic powder along with the ground beef, chicken, eggs and cheese along with whole wheat. If the dog ain't looking, I will purloin his treats, they are mighty tasty.
    I don't think that Rose geranium concoction will attract any bears, and if it does, would it be considered baiting?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

DEET and electrical tape around my pant legs works. Since I started using high percentage DEET , I haven't found a tick.
    Maybe it's like mosquitos, bananas attract and garlic repels.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

The permethrin really works I treated my pants but not my girlfriends. After a morning turkey hunt in kentucky we picked 37 ticks off her and none off me. Reading the lable it does sound pretty toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by matt420 View Post
    thats a pretty cool little gadget there, does it actually work and take the tics out without leaving the head behind? my tic repellent is a hot safty pin, you touch the tic in the a$$ with that and he backs right out right away
    This is what I carry:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe1...=12#from=embed

Here is a how-to website with their own procedures for dealing with ticks

http://www.howcast.com/videos/15657-...icks-Naturally

Quote Originally Posted by matt420 View Post
    my tic repellent is a hot safty pin, you touch the tic in the a$$ with that and he backs right out right away
    Last year was the first time I had to deal with a tick. It had buried in on my dog's head and the tick was bloated. I read about using a hot match head on the tic's ass so I gave it a try. The tick regurgitated "whatever" back into my dog and it went back to normal size. I eventually got the tick out but the dog had a bump there for quite awhile. It seems to me that method is a good way of passing on diseases. I know I'll never do that again.