Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tick Repellent

Tick Repellent

As reported by some members on another post, tick season is upon us.
    With this in mind, I went on a search of a good tick repellent.
    My first subject of interest was this link. The effectiveness of Deet is discussed.
    http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/de...tick-repellent
    So, after that I decided to order some permethrin based spray. Went to the Cabelas' site and found a couple of products from Sawyers that would fit the bill. There is a disclaimer stating that there may a export restriction on the product. As it turns out, there is, so ordering is just not possible.
    Trying to find anything with permethrin based in Canda is not possible. I checked WSS and Bass Pro in Canada for the product, but it is non-existant. Chances are that Health Cabada has not approved any premethrin based products due to the high health risk it poses.
    So, with Deet deemed as ineffective and permethrin unobtainable, I broadened my search.
    This brought me to a few sites that suggested the use of Rose Geranium Essential Oil. A natural product that is supposed to be effective in thwarting the ticks.
    I ordered some and will mix a small batch. Since my dog is black, he could be deemed the ultimate tick magnet. We'll put it to the test on him and me.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tick Repellent

i used muskol last year and it seemed to keep the ticks away. why is it that deet is inefective? i would also tie my pants around my boots and keep my shirts tucked in and i never got a tick after i did this.

Last season i got so many on me in one day it actually has me kinda scared..... 21 I think the count was. Only 2 tried to drill in.
    Freeking things are brutal.

Had four yesterday, also very interested in ways to avoid ticks

Quote Originally Posted by snareman1234 View Post
    Had four yesterday, also very interested in ways to avoid ticks
    As F-D would say the beat way to avoid the little suckers in just stay in your truck and road hunt
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Last season i got so many on me in one day it actually has me kinda scared..... 21 I think the count was. Only 2 tried to drill in.
    Freeking things are brutal.
    Man that is scary! My buddy was joking about ticks the other day because I have been hunting sheds so much. I went for a hike today in shorts! No ticks yet but every twig that touched my legs freaked me out!

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Man that is scary! My buddy was joking about ticks the other day because I have been hunting sheds so much. I went for a hike today in shorts! No ticks yet but every twig that touched my legs freaked me out!
    Did you check your crotch. Since Kamloops weather mirrors the south Okanagan, I would be suprised not to see the little blighters hanging on oneself. If you're hiking on the Tranquille Plateau, it might be a little cool for them, get down lower in the Lac du Bois area, they'll likely be hanging out.
    One of the things that is recommended is to wear lighter colored clothing.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Did you check your crotch. Since Kamloops weather mirrors the south Okanagan, I would be suprised not to see the little blighters hanging on oneself. If you're hiking on the Tranquille Plateau, it might be a little cool for them, get down lower in the Lac du Bois area, they'll likely be hanging out.
    One of the things that is recommended is to wear lighter colored clothing.
    I checked my crotch when I had a shower. Tick free for now, although I could use a shave. Is Lyme disease a real concern here? I really have not heard much about it since I moved here.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    I checked my crotch when I had a shower. Tick free for now, although I could use a shave. Is Lyme disease a real concern here? I really have not heard much about it since I moved here.
    I can't answer definitively whether there have been any cases here or not. Some might go diagnosed as something else. The medical community, especially in Canada, had a hard time acknowledging that the disease existed. It has only been within the last few years that cases have come to light.
    The symptoms of Lyme disease are many and varied so it would be easy to diagnose it as something else.
    Check this link. You have to scroll down the page to get to the good stuff.
    http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 03-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.

If you're in tick country, you might want to invest in one of these.

And another link, this one from the federal government. Tells you the area where Lyme Disease bearing ticks pervail throughout the country.
    http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-fs-eng.php#s7